SitePoint Enthusiast
    A small village called Aunsby,Lincolnshire,U K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uploading files to the Web

Hi

I am trying to upload my files to the Web using Core ftp. I have managed to connect OK and transferred the files to the remote server but the results don't appear on the Web.
    On checking my text editor files, I notice that in the index.html file, the following has appeared:-<!DOCTYPE html etc. Could this be the problem and how might this have happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be the problem, one of our gurus needs to answer that, in the meantime, can you be a bit more specific:

1. did this happen after uploading?
    2. what editor are you using?
    3. what sort of files were you trying to upload?
    4a. where did you upload it to specifically (any folders) and
    4b. are those folders the one that are actually accessible through the web (you might have to check this in your control panel).
    5. can you give us the full code of your index.html, preferably enclosed in [ code ] tags?

If you answered no to 1., what happens when you open that index.html on your local machine in your browser?

I don't think I've heard of Core FTP, but if you really want to use FTP - nothing wrong I guess in your case, look into the FileZilla FTP client.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use an FTP client like FileZilla..that can help you

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting problem.
    Try bin mode instead of text mode.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    It may be the problem, one of our gurus needs to answer that, in the meantime, can you be a bit more specific:

1. did this happen after uploading?
    2. what editor are you using?
    3. what sort of files were you trying to upload?
    4a. where did you upload it to specifically (any folders) and
    4b. are those folders the one that are actually accessible through the web (you might have to check this in your control panel).
    5. can you give us the full code of your index.html, preferably enclosed in [ code ] tags?

If you answered no to 1., what happens when you open that index.html on your local machine in your browser?

I don't think I've heard of Core FTP, but if you really want to use FTP - nothing wrong I guess in your case, look into the FileZilla FTP client.
    I too agree with c2uk, as it is important to check which files you want to upload and where to upload, but sometime it may be network problem that is happening, or else you can try Ws_Ft client for this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your help. I am just a beginner and I'm sorry if you think that I am trying to get you to do the work for me, I was just asking for some guidance. I won't bother you again.
    MW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by montagueward View Post
    Thank you for your help. I am just a beginner and I'm sorry if you think that I am trying to get you to do the work for me, I was just asking for some guidance. I won't bother you again.
    MW
    JC, what's up with you? I guess you refer to my signature? That is just a sentence that I put there and that is put automatically on each and every post of mine simply because others here on Sitepoint will do the work for you, Paul O for example comes up with incredible stuff all the time and is incredibly helpful. I simply don't have the time for that, rather I point you in the right direction.

Also, you didn't ask anyone specifically when you asked on this forum, the Sitepoint forum. I could've chosen not to answer...
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The characters in front of the < are a byte order mark. It is added there when you edit a page in some editors using a UTF-8 encoding. If you then serve the page with a different encoding it then appears as a part of the content.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by montagueward View Post
    I have managed to connect OK and transferred the files to the remote server but the results don't appear on the Web.
    Did you transfer the files to the correct directory ('folder' in Windows-speak)?

Many web hosting accounts will give you access to a user directory, and the actual root of the website is in a subdirectory of that (often with a name like 'web', 'root' or 'wwwroot'). You might need to contact your hosting company to get this information.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also faced similar problem with one of the host so try another Ftp surely it will work.Try cute ftp or filezilla and see whether this will solve or contact to your host

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... others here on Sitepoint will do the work for you, Paul O for example comes up with incredible stuff all the time and is incredibly helpful.
    Thank God they do -- Paul, Dan, Rayzur, others -- otherwise the site I've been working on would look like something the cat threw up.

And why is everyone suggesting an alternate FTP client? I've used CoreFTP for years and it's perfectly fine (though his particular copy of the program might be corrupt and causing the problem). Years back, I had something of a similar problem. It was caused by my copy of FileZilla, and nothing I did -- reinstall, registry purge, nothing -- could make the program work properly. That's when I went with CoreFTP. I love FZ, just couldn't get it to work on my balky old machine. Guess I answered my own question.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Many web hosting accounts will give you access to a user directory, and the actual root of the website is in a subdirectory of that (often with a name like 'web', 'root' or 'wwwroot'). You might need to contact your hosting company to get this information.
    Tommy's right. Try uploading your files to ftp.whateveritis.com .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

JC, what's up with you? I guess you refer to my signature? That is just a sentence that I put there and that is put automatically on each and every post of mine simply because others here on Sitepoint will do the work for you, Paul O for example comes up with incredible stuff all the time and is incredibly helpful. I simply don't have the time for that, rather I point you in the right direction.

Also, you didn't ask anyone specifically when you asked on this forum, the Sitepoint forum. I could've chosen not to answer...
    Just call me naive-Idid not realise that this was your signature but thought that you were putting me off. Sorry for the misunderstanding. MW

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll work my way through them and see what I can come up with.

Regards Monty

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with fegall... Most of the time, it is because you have something before the <Doctype....> line and then it is rendered even if it should.

I don't know what you used to create the page but... well, let's say that some editors a better than others and please, please, don't tell me that you created the page using something like PowerPoint or Word and then saved it to HTML

I would secondly think about the encoding. You created your page in your editor using one enconding but the web server uses another and you didn't say anything in your HTML to let him know that he should change.

Without looking at the code, that's what I can think of.