SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie SURVEY questions...

I'm building my first "big" HTML/CSS site for my friend's dad, who owns a small business. And everything's gone swimmingly so far... he LOVES the design, but had one last request: a customer satisfaction survey.

So, I built the form (no problem), but now I need to figure out how to set up a simple CMS-lite system where he, or his employees can get the information.

It's the standard mix of "yes/no" questions, and a couple of text fields. Nothing crazy. And he'll probably get 10 responses a month.

He is currently hosted by GoDaddy, and I assumed (?) they might have some server-side widget to email him the results? Or so he can log on and download the info as CSVs, etc? I was on hold w/ them forever, and finally gave up.

I know this is probably VERY newbie, and basic... but I'm coming from a Photoshop land into HTML/CSS/Flash land (I'm having a blast)... but I have no idea how to go about this.

And, obviously, I'd like to avoid a "fancy" CMS system = $$$$.

ANY advice would be very much appreciated!

tx,

e

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, a fancy CMS system doesn't need to cost a fortune, ever heard of Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal?

Secondly, a customer satisfaction survey with just yes/no questions and a few textfields is not all that helpfull, let him Google the Net Promoter score and let him look into that, it's a good starting point for a customer satisfaction survey, this is I believe the original article as published in the Harvard Business Review: http://www.netzkobold.com/uploads/pd..._reichheld.pdf

With regards on how to process the survey, this seems a pretty good solution: http://www.limesurvey.org/en/demo.html
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of those. I use Wordpress (.com) as a blog, but have been dipping my toe into learning the basics of all three of those. From what I've gleaned so far, they seemed like overkill for what I need?

Silly question maybe, but the form I made is just XHTML/CSS and designed it to look like the site... do options like limesurvey let me use my own "design" and merely use them to "collect" the inputs, and provide my clients w/ a way to access the data?

Again, I have a feeling these are pretty annoying questions... so thanks big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to use your own design, I use a piece of software called Form Tools - http://www.formtools.org/ - it does do email and download as csv, as well as store all your data.

It is a bit tricky to set up, and the forums aren't the most active, but I love it for form handling (which is really all you're doing).

I would recommend learning wordpress though
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edstate View Post
    I have heard of those. I use Wordpress (.com) as a blog, but have been dipping my toe into learning the basics of all three of those. From what I've gleaned so far, they seemed like overkill for what I need?
    Yes, they are, but your statement in the OP looked like a big misinformation, CMS = $$$$

Silly question maybe, but the form I made is just XHTML/CSS and designed it to look like the site... do options like limesurvey let me use my own "design" and merely use them to "collect" the inputs, and provide my clients w/ a way to access the data?
    Seems like it, though I haven't used it myself:

http://docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-inde...for+LimeSurvey

it probably takes you some time to learn their template system and then convert your html/css layout, but it may be worth the effort.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. Didn't mean to insinuate that those 3 were $$$, just the survey monkeys of the world. And probably not $$$, but more like $$ or $ :P

I just had a hunch that paying for a survey/questionaire solution was a bit of a give-up, ya know?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Formtools looks awesome btw!

I think i'm gonna dive in...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edstate
    I just had a hunch that paying for a survey/questionaire solution was a bit of a give-up, ya know?
    Processing form input is a server side responsibility. So if you are focusing on client side development having someone do it for you would not be giving up. I wouldn't expect a designer or front-end developer to process form data, that is more or less the peoples job working on the server side. Unless your leaning more towards a role where your active in both.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do want to at least learn the basics of it, and I figured this smaller site w/ it's very low level of CMS would be a perfect thing for me to do myself.