SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help Badly...

I have a client who is attending a large exhibition in the very near future. This client has asked me if I know of any program's that she could install on a computer that has a basic sign-in form (similar to a newsletter sign-in form) that can enter a person's information into a database and then reset itself so that the next person that's coming along will be able to do the same without a lot of muss and fuss (she's not really computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination).

Does anyone out there have any ideas if a program such as this may already exist or am I going to have to go and design a new PHP/MySQL program and database? Thanks in advance everyone...

DougB
    Ohmigod...he's back again

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could do that with a basic Access form. Would take about 10 minutes to setup and test.

It would run on any windows box, and you wouldn't need to worry about net access or anything complex.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the prompt reply Dave. Anywhere's I can get more information on setting up this Access form and databse for it as I'm not familiar with Access at all...Thanks again

Cheers,
    Doug

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Set up an Access database by creating a table with all the fields you want filled in.

eg:
    Name:
    surname:
    Address1:
    Address2:
    Address3:
    Postcode:
    Tel:
    Email:
    Whatever else:
    Etc:

Go to 'forms' in access, and hit 'wizard'. Set up a simple input form for all the fields.

Leave the Access DB on with the form open at the event, let people fill it in.

Easy peasy. Saying that, if you've never ever touched MS Access before, still going to be a learning curve.

Downsides for using Access are that its basic styling looks like crap, and does not look professional to the level most web-savvy people are expectant of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice, thanks armchair. I've been going through some tutorials on Access already and working on setting up the form and database that she wants so that I can test it and insure that its working flawlessly. Once I'm sure that everything is working properly I can spend some time customizing the format, or at least as much as Microsoft will allow me to. As for the learning curve it's not too bad so far. I did however find some good tutorials, some even on the MS website itself believe it or not. Thanks again for your help and advice, much appreciated all...

Cheers,
    DougB