SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on CMS for Multi-Page Website

Hi

I'm after some advice on where to go with a project one of my clients has just sent my way. What they are after is a template with 10 or so headings, and under each of those headings they can upload specific content, images text etc. They then want to publish the page, and password protect it and send that info out to clients of that, its kinda like an online service centre.

I have tried to persuade them to let me code the individual html template and then just plug in their content manually but they want an automated system, does anyone have any idea on what system I could use to achieve this, WordPress and Joomla seem overkill and i'm not sure they offer the right functionality either.

As an example, here is what one of the pages could look like (unfortunately i cant post a link)

HEADING BIO
    [paragraph text]
    HEADING VIDEO
    [centered video or paragraph links of text]
    HEADING TOUR
    [bulleted list of tour dates]

etc

Thanks
    Shaan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you can't develop this in php yourself?

In which case I suggest Drupal plus a couple of modules, especially CCK and CCK related modules that enable you to add that specific type of content you need if it is not text or a file attachment, e.g. there is one for images, one for videos, one for links, date, ...

And then you need a content access module, but I'm not up-to-date on those modules.

Plus Drupal is fairly flexible, so if your client decides to need a ticketing system, the Project Module can do that, or if he wants to set up an ecommerce store, there are even two modules that do the job, ubercart and ecommerce, or if he wants to start blogging, already inbuilt, or add a forum, both already inbuilt (only fairly basic functionality though).

Drupal may be overkill for what he intends to do now, though.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had the PHP skills, and unfortunately the budget doesn't allow for much outsourcing of that either, it's really a small project.

Thanks for the fast response, i'm thinking Drupal would be overkill givin that they would just be entering slabs of text under specific headings, uploading images, or even zip files of images. and then sending those out to their clients.

musichead#com#au/servicecentre is what im trying to achieve, but being managed through a CMS solution

--

I just had another thought of how I could do it using existing technologies, hear me out.

. I create a category for each of the individual bands that they want to create these for
    . Create a new post for each specific header and content, bio, photos, etc
    . Create and 'archive' page to link all these posts under 'categoryx' and display them
    . Find a security module that works on categories

Sounds a funny way to go about it, im sure there would be something easier
    Last edited by chillybin; Jul 29, 2009 at 01:41. Reason: another thought
    ChillyBin Web Design | http://www.chillybin.com.sg
    TheKiwi | Mindless Ramblings | http://www.thekiwi.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about Wordpress, than I'm afraid, I haven't done much with that recently, so I can't help you out there or show you in the right direction.

I wish I could help you getting this up and running with Drupal, but don't have the time right now.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem

I'm just thinking now that this might be done a lot easier by creating an online form in which they fill out, it then takes the content from their response and outputs it into an html page, and saves that.

Sure it sounds easy, but ive yet to find a decent solution, thanks for your help though
    ChillyBin Web Design | http://www.chillybin.com.sg
    TheKiwi | Mindless Ramblings | http://www.thekiwi.com