SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile device and flash

Hi I want to create a application flash base site for mobile what are the best options for me
    is it flash lite?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are no best options, most mobile devices cannot see or make use of Adobe Flash, especially the iPhone, which means that around 80% of everyone who visits your website on a cellphone cannot see anything you produce in it. Flash Lite is no exception to the rule whatsoever, building an entire website in Flash is a bad idea anyway, SEO and Usability and Accessibility all go out the window

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flash lite is more for applications (like a flash projector that you'd use on a desktop) that reside on mobiles rather than actual web accessible sites. If you create a flash lite app it's best to package into an installer (it can be packaged to jar/sis by various software available that covers the majority of phones). If you're creating a website targeted at mobile users, it's best to use plain old html.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u mean if i create a any flash lite application it will be just for certain range of website

what will be the best option for this?

Just want to create a web based application to manage product display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dijup, what he means is that Flash Lite will not give you any advantage in getting your flash based website visible on mobile devices. Very few mobile devices support flash (probably less than 5% guesstimated) so the answer to your question is... don't use flash if you want it to work on mobile devices. Either write a specific application for the handset (like an iPhone app) or make a web based application which does not use any propretary technology.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alex is correct, I think you're getting mobile sites and applications mixed up and need to be clear about the end use case.

Another way of looking at it:

Are you creating a website, served from a web server, and viewed on a mobile phones in built browser via a connection to the internet?
    --> use html

Are you creating an application that is downloaded/transferred and installed, that then becomes available from a phones application menu, and can be used offline?
    --> Use flash lite + packager

The percentage of phones flash lite is on is about 12% so as Alex points out you'd be missing out on masses of potential users if you created a website that relies on it being installed on the users phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Alex and Eastcost

My requirement was to generate a manage a shopping site in Flash lite.

I think using flash lite will add the limitation to my site user.

can u please suggest was can be the best option for that is it java or is there any other flash base application for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dijup, you again seem to have the wrong idea, stop trying to limit your users by using plug-in technology, Flash and Java are dependant on the technologies being available, if you are going to have a store, use standard coding methods such as server-side scripting (PHP / etc), when it comes to mobile devices you cannot count on anything like Flash or Java being available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Alex & EastCoast, since html can be viewed in any web browser in a mobile, that will be the best way of implementing what you want to achieve.
    Good Luck!
    There are things known and Things unknown
    And in between are the Doors.
    I love hand Coding.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that you are excited about this new concept, but ten your choices of mobile models where this site can come to use, will be very restricted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but my requirement is to build a application so that user don't have to go to browser page every time they want to go to my site

please suggest the best solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's rather counterproductive isn't it? Getting people to install something that needs to access your site rather than just having a website. Personally I wouldn't bother because no-one will install an application when there is a simple website they can use instead.