SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A website cataloging all websites from a particular ISP

Now I'm old database desktop developer, and so the Web and how it works still eludes me.

My question is this:

Could a web crawler be conceived that looks for only websites from a particular set of Internet Providers?

You see, I've always wanted to see a website that organizes, that categorizes, that lays out in a slick fashion and supplies the search capability, to group together *all* the websites from a particular city.

You know, the city of Detroit just for example....all the websites hosted in the city of Detroit organized and 'readily retrievable' in some slick effective fashion in heaven know how many different kinds of ways and organized in heaven knows how many different kinds of categories.

You're looking for a plumber in your town.

Sure, you can hit the yellow pages--even Google it.

But, you've bookmarked this 'myDetroit' website, and you know with a few key strokes you'll find your plumber.

Even if that plumber doesn't have a website because the search has scanned the many 'local' forums and/or personal 'user portal/pages' provided by the website and found someone else who was looking for a plumber and had gotten a 'reliable' response.

Local business can go to this website and put up their 'webpage' knowing they will be assisted and knowing that 'local' customers will then readily be able to find them.

Anyway, I've never seen a website like that.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mean something like http://www.local.com.au/ ?
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Now, that's it!

That's an example of a directory website where local businesses can go to and put up their 'webpage' knowing they will be assisted and knowing that 'local' customers can then readily be able to find them.

How would you reccommend I search the web to find more directory websites like this one?

As you may have guessed by now, I'm dreamin' up an idea for a website.

Now, with http://www.local.com.au/, it appears to be a manual process.

Your encouraged to 'register your business' with this site and they'll supply you with a 'profile' where you type in what you have to offer and supply a link to your website if you have one.

I want a website that actively seeks out websites by locale and collects and categories them in an automated fashion.

Web crawlers/spiders working around the clock collecting websites from specific ISP's.

In summary:

Question 1) Could a web crawler be conceived that looks for only websites from a particular set of Internet Providers?

Question 2) How would you reccommend I search the web to find more directory websites like http://www.local.com.au/?