SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

expression engine

anyone used expression engine (http://expressionengine.com) before? Looking for a reasonably priced commercial CMS solution and so far this looks pretty good. Am using the trial version atm to get to grips with it.

Aiming to use it for a ~100 page site, any comments? Tech support looks good but be nice for some real-life feedback.

cheers

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EE is a very sophisticated CMS. There are very few things you can't do with it as the system is incredibly flexible.
    One of the restrictions being, that you cannot build a community where people are allowed to all have a blog of their own with their own url like you can do with wordpressMU or Drupal. For these restrictions, I'd recommend reading the license agreement.

I've been using it for around three years now, built my own sites and many clients' sites with it. There are many very classy third-party add-ons and the support for those is wonderful, too.

Tech and community support is probably one of the best you can get. The community is extremely helpful and smart, but even if you contact the staff, you get a response within a matter of a few hours (the two times I needed their support, they responded within a few minutes), and - in my experience - they've always offered a variety of solutions/suggestions to your problem and go with you all the way until the issues are resolved.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ What he said

Support is top notch and the community is always friendly and willing to help.

One thing to note, EE is not a "plug n play" CMS like certain others you'll find around. Instead, your build your site up using Modules, Extensions and Plugins, starting with a totally blank sheet. This allows you to build the site your way, and not how the CMS dictates - that is a blessing believe me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what i wanted to hear.

been looking at a couple and they either seem too expensive or too "over the top", whereas EEs commerical license price caught my eye, its in PHP and as mentioned tech support seems great.

thanks