User Tag List

Thread: PHP Security

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Security

This is more of a general question about application security.

We have an application that we would like to allow two things in it. First allow to upload a zip file that will populate and create directories and files (php as well) in the application directory. Those files will be part of the actual application (IE: We upload a zip file and the system populates it into the appropriate directory and then we have a new section in our site, Like all kind of Open Source softwares do it Like wordpress, Joomla except that instead uploading the directories and files manually to the FTP we upload it through a zip file from the ACP and it populates the files and directories into the appropriate directories). Same thing applies to the template views we have. We have them made as PHP files inside a certain directory so if an admin would like to edit them he could do that through the ACP and save it directly into the file. The problem here is again because of the template views directory needs to be chmod for read and write it can lead to a serious security flows.

So my question here is, Under those circumstances what should be done in order to both have those options in the system and yet not causing any potential security holes and flows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give read and write permissions only to the webserver (to the user, which webserver is using).

How you are going to make sure that the zip doesn't contain a bad script which deletes your database/deletes your application?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to through the robot text and disallow the desired file(s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArunB View Post
    Give read and write permissions only to the webserver (to the user, which webserver is using).

How you are going to make sure that the zip doesn't contain a bad script which deletes your database/deletes your application?
    Do a MD5 sum on the uploaded ZIP file, as compared to "officially supported plugins/software updates"?

That's what I would do, anyways.
    I am a Freelance Linux Consultant.
    I offer flat rate Linux support, as well as hourly support.
    Feel free to visit my blog, Ramblings of a Linux Administrator.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the particular security risk that you want to prevent? Files uploaded by someone not authorized to do so somehow?