User Tag List

Thread: Migration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Migration

Hey,

I am currently running a company where i am having problems with hosting. I am worried that eventually my clients will become disappointed and may affect me in the long run.

I wanted to ask how difficult it is to migrate my existing client databases over to a new server? I want to leave my existing provider so need to know how difficuly it would be for me to do this?

Thanks
    Regards
    Billy

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be too difficult, but it depends on what you are using as the back-end for these sites?

Wordpress for example, is very easy to migrate as it has an import/export function. Other systems might not have this but you can try and copy the sql file over and reconnect the site/script to the database afterwards. There are probably other ways to do this but those are the circumstances I've worked with.

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically a website migration involves copying over source files, exporting and importing your database, and setting up new database connections. Like Andy said it really depends on what you are running, but the majority of DB powered software would migrate like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the size of everything also, if running cpanel most things can be done using the cpmove tools, if the site is too big then you might need to tarball the account up and transfer it manually via ssh.
    :-)