User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Images in CSS called at each page

Hi,

I am running a website, which i developed ,i have only one CSS file included in my header. I have four different pages and i have different set of images to be loaded for each page.The images are called in the CSS file.I have tested my site speed using external sites and found that ,when i load my homepage all the images included in the CSS file is getting loaded though all the images are not required in the home page.For example if i have included image4.gif in my CSS which is required for the fourth page in my site ,That image is getting loaded in my home page .Because of this my site speed is getting affected.

Is this the behavior of the CSS file? if so how can it be changed to load only the images required for the current page.
    Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is the behaviour of CSS, the client requests it and then downloads it, including all references mentioned there, the client cannot tell which of these are not needed, for example JavaScript could alter the class of an item having the CSS loaded.

One of the most common performance improvements is using sprites (search for css sprites).

Other than that, images like your external CSS and Javascript files get cached after being downloaded the first time by the user.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And if you want to know how to produce CSS sprites to help the efficiency of image loading, take a read of the following article...

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sprites

Hope that's helpful