User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Developing a new layout for portfolio question

Hi there,

I am re-designing my portfolio but since my site is called BC Designs im wanting to give it a prehistoric feel type of style of layout but first i want to kinda get the colors for this type of website as when most people think what BC stands for is Before Christ.

anyway What colors would you consider to represent to have a prehistoric feel too it and also does anyone know of any good places where i can find prehistoric animal stock photos or renders?

or would my whole idea drive away visitors and future clients?

Thanks,William

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say you want to go with browns, sandy colours, perhaps a splash of green here and there (think jurassic park and your probably on the right path), though for a better effect I would consider having a grainy background such as a tile of sand or some kind of gravel material... sort of what you would expect in caves, that orangey kind of color with cave paintings on the back. At least that is my initial impression.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cute idea, but remember, a lot of clients want modern, cutting-edge designers and techniques. I'm not sure I'd want to be known as "that Stone Age design firm." Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Max, I dunno... retro designs have high appeal, it just depends how it is implemented

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, Alex. A good retro design wouldn't put me off. (I've seen far too many mondo moderno junk sites pretending to feature "cutting edge" design elements to go all slack-jawed over rounded corners and sideways writing. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I've always been from the school that you don't want a fancy portfolio. You want a clean canvas that easily shows off your work. You don't want to distract from the work you're showing off. For instance, will the work you produce look good with a "brown and sandy" background? I don't think it will, although, I'd have to see what you come up with.
    + Carbonmade - Easiest way to display and manage your portfolio.
    + Burstoid - Design magazine.

+ twitter/spencerfry

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what i have come up with atm http://bcdesigns.info as a layout tell me what you guys think of it sorta meets the requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks more like a tropical holiday website than anything which looks prehistoric, unless your trying to tell me all those houses in the image were around during the dinosaur years. You want to make your website grungy and use natural elements like rocks and spearheads if you want a prehistoric look, animal skins and sandstone, etc http://www.stockxpert.com/browse_image/view/26867491 <<< This for example would be an awesome background image for the website (with perhaps rocks for navigation) if you were willing to pay for some stock photography to improve your site, your current look is very bland, uses yellow on black) not exactly prehistoric colors is it? and looks like its trying to sell me a holiday home, if you want to go for prehistoric or prechristian, you probably might benefit from going to the library, getting a book on dinosaurs or cavepeople and seeing the kinds of textures, cave paintings, dinosaur skins which people associate with being of that era... don't just go in blind, do your research!