SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probably isn't of any interest from you people in the US or Canada, but I would like help from someone who lives in the UK:

I want to pay Your-Site.com by check (I'm young and my Dad no way lets me use his credit card) and I have been to my bank (Royal Bank of Scotland). They say the charge is of 10 for every check in US dollars drawn on a US bank. Can anybody help me by redirecting me to a cheaper place? Please don't say credit card is the best way because it is not the easiest for me! In fact, it is really hard!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say for you to get another bank. That charge is outrageously high!

However maybe if one of your parents who has had a long relationship with the bank asked maybe they could cash the checks for free. Go and ask your bank.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents have no relationship with the bank at all! If I was to go to another bank, which one should I go for? Can anybody who lives in the UK help?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a money order from the Post Office?
    Or maybe you can send money to a kind soul and get thme to write a check for you in the US?

------------------
    Webmaster of Gib-Online Dot COM (or webmistress for that matter!)
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Your-Site.com accept money orders? I'm not so sure, but if they do, please tell me! Also, I don't "physically" know anybody who lives there.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best solution is to look for somebody(a kind soul)as they suggested. Who can take the cash from you and write you a check in US dollars.

I don't know if you can try one of the money transfer systems. But the idea of the post office writing you a check in US dollars is good if what you want to buy is not very urgent.

Then you have to examine as well if you can pay cash by registered and recorded delivery or use any of the package delivery agencies?.

I have the same problem when it comes to renewing my magazines subscriptions?.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used 'International Money Orders' ($3.95 fee at my US bank) for books & things that I have ordered from the UK...

Have you eMailed this hosting company about using another form of payment, ie money orders, cash?? Because when I visited Your-Site.com it looked like they only took 'Visa, MC & Amex'...

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the Royal Bank of Scotland too, for free they will set you up an account in U.S dollars.
    I havnt actually used my dollar acount yet or applied for a check book, but I know that they will set up the account for free.

The bank are probably being funny with you because you are young, ask to see someone from customer services and tell them that you intend to do many transactions with online based companies, if they still give you no slack then ask them what the procedure would be to close your account and set up with a more internationally friendly bank, that should do the trick.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pedro_gb

Sorry for the late reply - I only found this forum today.

I live in the UK and accept US Dollar cheques all the time.

You need to set up (Or get dad to do it) US dollar and Sterling accounts with citibank

You can pay into your account, US Dollar cheques by mail and transfer funds via the internet from your US Dollar account to your Sterling account.

After you have done this you can use the cash card they provide to get at your money.

You will get a US Dollar cheque book and a sterling cheque book.

I've been using them for over a year now and it works great.

There is ONE snag. There is a monthly fee of $15 but this is waived if you have an average balance of 2000 / $3000 over the course of a month.

The exchange rates they use are pretty good and they pay good interest too.

Drop me an email if you want further details.
    terry@mangovilla.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do most UK banks let you set up dollar accounts? I'm with NatWest but I think I'm going to change to Barclays, HSBC or Lloyds-TSB and I'd not heard of this service before but it could be very useful.

------------------
    www.rotax-max.org
    the world's fastest growing race category