Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Width and positioning issue

Hi all,
    Here is the site (i don't have enough posts to put the link):
    www dot comtract dot ca slash aircellsite slash index dot html

I am having two issues that I am having a hell of a time trying to resolve.

1. The page has a lot of extra space on the right side. When I take the float attribute off the .lowSubNavContainer div it displays fine in terms of width, but I want the div on the right side of the page not the left

2. I have a series of imgs that I am using as links that include a span tag that shows up when someone hovers over the imgs. I can make it work if the page is sitting to the left, but can't figure it out when the page is centered. (absolute positioning wont work because the page is always centered and I can't get relative to work with out pushing other images around)

Cheers,
    Last edited by brentbrent; Jul 24, 2009 at 07:40. Reason: css issue

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brentbrent View Post
    Hi all,
    Here is the site (i don't have enough posts to put the link):
    www dot comtract dot ca slash aircellsite slash index dot html

I am having two issues that I am having a hell of a time trying to resolve.

1. The page has a lot of extra space on the right side. When I take the float attribute off the .lowSubNavContainer div it displays fine in terms of width, but I want the div on the right side of the page not the left
    Float the .lowSubNavContainer right, and on .header, add overflow:hidden; to contain the floated element
    2. I have a series of imgs that I am using as links that include a span tag that shows up when someone hovers over the imgs. I can make it work if the page is sitting to the left, but can't figure it out when the page is centered. (absolute positioning wont work because the page is always centered and I can't get relative to work with out pushing other images around)

Cheers,
    Huh? I don't understand this last part.
    Also "#picNav" needs display:inline; to fix an IE6 bug.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ryan,
    Thanks for your help!!
    I managed to solve the problem with the header (except in IE). It is looks like the first menu is being cleared and not allowing the second one to float on the opposing side.

For the second problem, I have a series of images that link to some products, that when rolled over a short description of them will show up in the silver area below. I just cant get the positioning right. (they don't even show up in IE, and the index page wont centre in IE either)

updated page is at the same link as above.

Thanks again, I have been tearing my hear out with IE

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brentbrent View Post
    Hey Ryan,
    Thanks for your help!!
    I managed to solve the problem with the header (except in IE). It is looks like the first menu is being cleared and not allowing the second one to float on the opposing side.
    No, .spacer has like 400px height or something...remove the height.

For the second problem, I have a series of images that link to some products, that when rolled over a short description of them will show up in the silver area below. I just cant get the positioning right. (they don't even show up in IE, and the index page wont centre in IE either)
    Well I went to the page and you deleted the doctype for some reason. Add it back in. Auto margins don't work in IE in quirks mode (which is what you are in)
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, when I fixed the header I used a different page and copied it over, must have missed the doc type. Whoops. That part works perfect now.

Only issue remaining is how to make the span tags show up in the correct location. I think relative positioning is the way to go, but when the img is rolled over, the span tag displaces all the remaining imgs.

Absolute positioning works as long as the page isn't moved (browser resize). So not sure on this one.
    Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump because I can't figure out the positioning on the main page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still can't figure out the correct way to position the span. Any one have thoughts on this?

Thanks