SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahoo's servers are spamming me

Ok, I'm sure this is what is happened & here's why.

1. I can't stand Yahoo mail. I tell everyone I know that it's terrible & they should use Gmail, so I already knew they were having problems over a year ago.

1. Recently a few months ago I started to get e-mails from clients that had nothing to do with our relationship. I kept asking them to STOP e-mailing me, take me off their list, this is a business & this is considered spam.

I never received one response.

At first I thought it was just one client, but then it happened again with another client (remember, these are all Yahoo e-mails).

I wrote Yahoo & of course the people over there who answer e-mails aren't too bright, so other than one person FINALLY telling me they would submit that e-mail address, I don't even think they understood that it was THEIR users who were spamming me, I wasn't a Yahoo user.

1. Now it's happened with a 3rd client. It's not happening with non clients, it only seems to be happening with clients & this 3rd person is also someone I e-mailed the first time it happened with still no response.

1. The amount of e-mails are increasing & the e-mail is ccing other people too, so it's probably a virus that's e-mailing their address book.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, ok, that numbered bullet thing doesn't work.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo servers aren't spamming you.

Yahoo users *may* be spamming you. Mostly unintentionally, or through lack of sophistication. The cc'ing of recipients sounds like one of those chain letter things.

As far as gmail being better than anything, that is debatable and immaterial.

This is what appears as a footer on emails from our servers:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...uting_privacy/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also had irritating experience with yahoo mail. even if i report as a spam a certain mail, still i get more spam mails than one could ever get.

and since i dont know any better resolution, i opted to delete my account and create a new one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I use Gmail.. i used Yahoo for years. But I think I should move to another free email provider. Yahoo mail can't handle spam email as powerful as gmail does. So here I am.. gmail user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I know you get a lot of spam, I'm talking about ME (a non Yahoo user) getting spam from Yahoo users & NO, I don't feel they are spamming me, but plumb, you certainly have the right to your opinion!

Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And upon further notice, it looks like the URL being spammed is coming from Russia.

I can't believe Yahoo doesn't know they've been hacked.

Michelle

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    I can't believe Yahoo doesn't know they've been hacked.
    As much as I enjoy jumping to conclusions, they probably haven't been hacked.

The more likely scenario is that your customers have spyware on their PCs that has allowed these spammers to harverst their yahoo mail usernames and passwords.

There's nothing Yahoo can do about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, maybe that is what is happening, but WHY is it ONLY happening with Yahoo & not hotmail or gmail?

So if that's the case, Yahoo looks like they have very poor security.

Another one started now & so that's 3 all from Yahoo.

Yahoo got hacked into or a virus was unleased upon them about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago & their e-mail has been a problem ever since for us netrepreneurs who send out e-mails from our lists to people who have a Yahoo acct.

This is just one reason why I tell people to get a better e-mail address & now this is happening which is a separate issue altogether. Now that I know it's happening, it started late last year. I'd have to check when I sent my first e-mail asking to be taking off of their mailing list.

Another question...

Why aren't the people responding back to me if they are getting this strange e-mail from me they don't understand?

I would respond if someone accused me of spamming.

Michelle

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently started receiving these too. I have a couple friends whom I communicate by email and I have started receiving spam emails from them. I'll ask them about it and they have no clue what is happening.

PS. Oh yeah first post kinda...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to ask them, or you already did? Your sentence wasn't clear.

Welcome to Site Point (SP)

Thanks

Michelle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to fake ("spoof") the return address in an email. What is more important is to look at the IP address where the email originated, to see if it's really from Yahoo servers. The IP is in the email headers, but the headers can be partially faked, too, so sometimes it's not easy to trace the chain.

If your clients don't return your complaints, it could be because your replies are going to a reply-to email address other than the one shown as "from:" in the email.

It sounds like some sort of malware may have raided your address book and is sending spoofed emails from the addresses it found there.

As a preventive measure, scan your PC with an antivirus program different from the one you normally use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

Not sure who you are talking to.

If you are talking to me, then unfortunately your advice doesn't apply since my clients aren't in my address book & it could be they just don't care as most of my clients are very computer illiterate.

As for virus or spamware protection, I have it all & my computer is scanned daily.

Me searching the IP address won't help me since I don't know these people personally, some have been clients for 2-3 years & could have moved from the address I have on file for them.

Thanks for trying though.

Michelle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the IP addresses, what I meant was that email sent from within a Yahoo account will show as its origin an IP address that traces to Yahoo.com.

The origin would normally be the IP address in the first (oldest) Received: line in the headers. If that IP doesn't trace to Yahoo.com, then it wasn't really sent by a Yahoo mail server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I hate viewing message source, it's all mixed together.

There are tons of "Receiveds", which one do I copy & paste here so you can see?

Thanks

Michelle

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are listed in order from first "hop" at the bottom of the list to last at the top of the list, but some of them can be faked, so if you list them here, it would be best to list them all. However, you'd need to remove people's email addresses, and it might be best not to list IPs here, either (some could be legitimate), so it's probably easiest if you do it yourself:

Starting at the bottom, find the first IP address you encounter and look it up at http://whois.domaintools.com/. Then work your way up through the list until it's not fun anymore.

It can be a bit more complicated than that. A web search on
    trace email headers
    finds tutorials and how-to's.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ran across this, which might be of interest:
    http://badwarebusters.org/main/itemview/6201

SitePoint Enthusiast cheap freelancer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since yahoo advertising revenue is declining Yahoo is under lot of pressure , so I think we just need to bear it with Yahoo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this Steve.

I haven't had time to post the message sources (I average about 3 spams per day now from 2-3 different clients) here yet.

I can't read the message source.

While I know my way around the net & my computer & software, for some reason message sources have always been a challenge for me.

So does this mean the mallware is using Yahoo's servers to send out the spam? I think it's a stretch to say that the mallware just happened to attack 3 of my clients although as I mentioned, most of my clients are computer illiterate, so I assume their spyware programs (assuming they even have any) aren't up-to-date.

Cheap Freelancer, Yahoo has been dropping the ball for a couple of years now. If they can't protect their customers, they should close down.

I love their IMing program & even that has started to cause problems in the last year or so.

I demand everyone give me a gmail account when they e-mail me from Yahoo.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWh View Post
    Just ran across this, which might be of interest:
    http://badwarebusters.org/main/itemview/6201

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freelancer, I'm in the market for a really good Graphic Web Designer & a PHP Programmer, but I can't understand your sites.

Can you PM me with instructions.

Thanks

Michelle