SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ever PHP project advice

Hi, I am about to start working on PHP/MySQL for the first time. Mind you, I have absolutely no experience with PHP. I am however quiet experienced in SQL (mostly from an Oracle perspective, but MySQL seems to be much much simpler to administer so that shouldn't be a problem). My question is...Do you think that using a PHP framework is a good idea for someone who has no experience in PHP? Or will it add another layer of complexity in this case since I will have to learn both general PHP as well as the framework. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm taking you don't have any programing experience. PHP uses C syntax so if you already know C, C++, C#, java or javascript, the syntax won't be a surprise. For the framework, it's pretty easy to work with.

PHP is probably the most used language for web development so there's a ton of resources. So if you don't know how to do something, it won't take long to figure it out.

Your biggest problem will probably be best practices since you probably don't have much experience with web development.

So yeah, PHP is easy to learn but that's not the problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkoroo View Post
    So I'm taking you don't have any programing experience. PHP uses C syntax so if you already know C, C++, C#, java or javascript, the syntax won't be a surprise. For the framework, it's pretty easy to work with.

PHP is probably the most used language for web development so there's a ton of resources. So if you don't know how to do something, it won't take long to figure it out.

Your biggest problem will probably be best practices since you probably don't have much experience with web development.

So yeah, PHP is easy to learn but that's not the problem.

My programming experience is indeed very limited. I am familiar with VB on a basic level and basic shell scripting in Unix, but that's about it. As far as best practices, I think you are right, my biggest dilemma right now is how to structure the app properly and consistently. That's why I was considering using a framework. The thing I am worried it about though, is that a framework will limit/skew my understanding of PHP in general if it imposes too many of its own rules on me. Not sure if I am making sense or not.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have some programming experience (especially OOP) then a framework would be a good idea.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In that case I'd caution against a framework till you work out how PHP works, otherwise everything will seem like voodoo programming.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use a framework for your first php project. You will need to read their documentation, and that will almost certainly be written for an audience which understands php fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think it's better to not use a framework because that way you'll learn php.

For best practice, if you doubt something, you could ask here. Explain your situation and what you're doing. I'm sure you'll get good feedback.

GO PHP!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will avoid using a framework then. Now I just need to sit down and find a good tool for line by line debugging.