SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I host my clients for them. I feel not only is it a revenue stream but it is also a great service for my clients. If they have a problem, they make one phone call and that's to me. They never get into "that's not me, it's them" issues.

I have 12 dedicated servers for my clients. Some of them have shared hosting and others have dedicated from me.

Oh, and I have found it safer if you have a client who won't pay you for your design work to have control over their hosting. Only had to do it once, but it was for $7000 and it was nice having that control.
    Last edited by rgc6789; Jul 24, 2009 at 11:15. Reason: Another thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    That is correct Mike. But I assume the managment is important here as well. I assume that is easy to manage one web hosting account then several even from the trusted web hosts. In any case you can chose one trusted web host and have reseller account

Cheers
    It depends on if you are wanting to manage their hosting or if you simply are going to provide them with the design. I mean realistically unless you are going to resolve their cPanel issues and mail not getting sent issues etc... I don't see why you would need a reseller account to design for people.

If you wanted to manage the hosting then a reseller plan would be ideal
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Hosting over 8,500 domains!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Celebrating 3 years in business!
    Serious Internet Solutions, LLC. - Quality Unmanaged VPS
    SeriousVPS - http://www.seriousvps.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses

I guess the next question then is directed at those who provide their own hosting services. Do you have a dedicated server/s that you portion up between clients? A VPS? A reseller account? Or create individual accounts on a needs basis?

If one wanted to integrate some sort of hosting option with their web design services, how would you suggest starting this? For example, someone very early in their web design career might not be able to fork out the capital to set up dedicated servers until they can assure there's a steady income stream flowing in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of reseller accounts. One US based with Innohosting and the other with HostNine which lets you have all your resold accounts on different servers across the globe which is a great function. I'm very happy with both hosts at the moment and have been for a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always pointed clients in which host they can use and why. Most people just want the cheapest bang for the buck though, so they almost all use GoDaddy :P

I think if the client doesn't understand you should explain to them and help them get their site ready, it's about a 10 minute process only. Obviously you could charge something or include it in your price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it varies.

If a client approaches you with a website design request, and already has their own hosting account - great.

If they approach you with a totally blank canvas, I think the best route to take would be to find them the best deal for their requirements.
    Bannaz - Flash Banner Design
    █ Leading designers in online advertising.
    www.bannaz.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the postings to be very informative and i agree that the web hosting responsiblities are for a website designer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbrowne View Post
    I was wondering what people thought in terms of the responsibilities that a website designer has in the selection of and set up of web hosting for their clients' websites?

Do you encourage clients to choose their own hosting and give you the details?Or do you find them the best deal for their requirements? If so, do you have a web host you regularly reccomend, or is it case-by-case?
    A lot of web designers join affiliate programs and make extra money by referring people to hosting companies.
    Syfonic Hosting | Unlimited Space/Bandwidth
    99.9% Uptime | Anytime Money Back Guarantee
    Free Sitebuilder | 24x7 Support | Instant Backups
    CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR EXCLUSIVE HOSTING OFFERS!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    That is correct Mike. But I assume the managment is important here as well. I assume that is easy to manage one web hosting account then several even from the trusted web hosts. In any case you can chose one trusted web host and have reseller account

Cheers
    Hey, Rumsfo

All that you wrote through your post is true, managemant is equally important, as for a web designer it is important to provide reseller hosting to their clients, as he can manage reseller accounts and provide the best web hosting services as per client's requirements and their budget.

cheers!!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Guys this is a terrific post.

I have one additional question: do you feel that if you have a dedicated server plan, for example 1and1 that offers 1 access account, is this good enough and you will manage every web site or do you feel that it is necessary to have individual accounts that the users can manage by themselves?

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends very much of de designer's point of view. Some work with a few web hosting providers and refer customers to them. Other buys reseller packages, virtual private servers or dedicated hosting. I think that the best a web design studio can do is to use Managed Hosting, which will allow it to customize the web hosting environment.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller accounts are a win win situation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my advice:

Always go by what your client wants, try to implement everything he says cos at the end of the day he is the one who pays. Clients are happier not because the site is awesome, but rather when you listen to them 100%

secondly, advice them to go for private paid hosting instead of free or hosting given by you. Well you have some deal, then fine, but dont take the headache of maintaining their sites. you may charge for that if you want.