SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company has developed a content syndication prototype and we have an internal debate regarding two names and the positioning for the site. Since the ultimate target will be webmasters I was hoping you could provide some candid feedback on both options. Also when you respond please include your age! Both names and examples are posted below. Thanks in advance. - buzz

----------------------------------------
    I would like to introduce you to Content Jack (http://www.contentjack.com). Content Jack provides Webmasters with free, original content by hijacking headlines from relevant publisher websites. The headlines are ultimately returned to the publishers in the form of traffic to their sites, traffic that is essentially i-jacked away from competitor sites. Content Jack fundamentally changes the Internet content landscape in three ways:

1. Content Jack provides Webmasters of smaller sites with free, original content headlines and sends a steady flow of targeted traffic to content publishers.

2. Content Jack provides content that is totally relevant to the smaller Webmaster’s site.

3. Content Jack fundamentally changes the way content is organized and distributed on the Web. He does this by enabling Webmasters to access content feeds from multiple publishers and placing specific, highly relevant web elements on their sites.

---------------------------------------------

This letter is to introduce you to EchoFactor (http://www.echofactor.com). EchoFactor provides Webmasters with fresh content through a small piece of code that ‘steals’ headlines from relevant publisher websites. Visitors to the Webmaster’s site ultimately benefit publishers by clicking on the headline and driving traffic back to the publisher’s sites. In developing the Echo technology, EchoFactor fundamentally changed the Internet content landscape in three ways:

1. EchoFactor turns Internet content into a free, accessible commodity; providing Webmasters with fresh content and content publishers with traffic.

2. EchoFactor content is totally relevant to the Webmaster’s site.

3. EchoFactor fundamentally changes the way content is organized and distributed on the Web. It enables Webmasters to access content feeds from multiple publishers and place specific, highly relevant web elements on their sites.
    --------------------------------------------
    For the record: The site is currently housed on echofactor.com. Contentjack is registered but not yet dedicated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADMIN:jonese - Moved Topic to here.

Please note ALL possible posters in reply to this topic. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE YOUR AGE. Since our servers are housed in the USA it is illegal for any company to ask for your age.

As for other information go at it as you see fit.

-----------

I would like to bring up a point here. I'm a little disturbed by the following lines:

"...provides Webmasters with free, original content by hijacking headlines from relevant publisher websites"

"...provides Webmasters with fresh content through a small piece of code that ‘steals’ headlines from relevant publisher websites"

Your choice in verbage isn't the best and it alludes to illegal activity. I haven't deleted this post becuase i'm curious to hear what you have to say, and i'm sure others in our forums would be interested as well.

Please reply or i will be forced to delete this post and revoke your posting priviliges.

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com
    Personal Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's what Buzzbeat had to say:

--------------
    Eric, thanks for your feedback. I wanted to get back to you in regard to
    your questions. You raise some great points and they are the kind of
    points I've been looking for.

So you are aware, the project currently called echofactor, does not do
    anything illegal. The site relys on the same theory that Yahoo uses in
    spidering sites - by categorizing websites you ultimately drive traffic
    to the publishers. We do not scrape any site that specifically states
    that they wish to be left alone.

That said, what the site does is scrape relevant headlines from
    publishers and gives webmasters the feed. When users click through they
    head back to the publishers site - driving traffic and page views for
    the content provider. The webmaster gets original content, the publisher
    gets traffic and page views. It is a win-win.

The spin of 'hijacking' or 'stealing' is simply that, it is a way to
    generate buzz and interest in the project. However, if we find that
    webmasters don't like the terms, are fearful due to Napster etc... we
    may change the positioning to be less aggressive. That is why I have
    asked your community for their feedback.

please find a complete description of the 'project to be named' as an
    att.

Regards
    --------------

With that said then i see no problems with this post and i'm going to let it fly.

------------------
    Eric Jones - SitePoint Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com
    Personal Site

SitePoint Enthusiast JustBrowsing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I personally like EchoFactor.com much better. It rolls of the tongue. As for the site description I agree with Jonese, the words are too harsh and give the wrong idea. Maybe something like this? :

Through a small piece of code EchoFactor searches and brings headlines from different publishers to one page. With EchoFactor no searching is necessary, the information you need comes to you.

Luck!
    -------------
    JustBrowsing
    NothingReally.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, on the other hand, seem to like ContentJack a bit better. Echo-anything tends to remind me of the quite large echodev.com network.

ContentJack seems more personable and more easily identifiable, like AskJeeves. EchoFactor to me, sounds like a science fiction site - I would probably never find it if I were searching for content to publish on my website. However, if you submit ContentJack to a search engine, you already have one of your keywords in the Title and Domain - CONTENT.

But I agree with Eric and everyone else who stated that you really should change your wording - words like hijacking and stealing give your site a negative reaction from the public, even if your intentions are good. I would edit your post so as not to cause anymore confusion.

Good luck with your site!

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    ICQ# 82621206 MSN: sparkiecat@hotmail.com