SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox OK, IE breaks column 3

I'm having a problem with peterwade dot com. [I have now moved the home page to test.html.]

I've used the 3-column liquid layout from matthewjamestaylor dot com -- ultimate-3-column-blog-style-pixels -- and inserted it into my legacy home page.

The original Matt Taylor pages works in IE and Firefox, but in my home page it works only in Firefox. In IE column 3 is too wide and a mess. I have compared both CSS files and can't see any notable difference.

Column 4 with the yellow background is generated by my legacy HTML tables CMS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by posword; Jul 21, 2009 at 17:16.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow I don't honestly think I have ever seen more nested tables in my life. Going from the <body> element in firebug, it literally took me about 3 minutes just to get to the coolumns.

I highly HIGHLY recommend you scrap that code and go to Pauls 3col layout.

There is just so much going on I don't know where to start debugging that.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Ryan. Yep, they sure knew how to nest tables back in those days! PHP-Nuke is the culprit, that's why we're in the process of changing to WordPress with a CMS template.

Interesting that your signature says "age doesn't matter". I'm 75, so at the other end of the scale, and I'm struggling with css positioning, though I've used css for many years.

The only bit that needs debugging is between <!-- start css cols 1-3; thanks to Matt Taylor --> and <!-- end css Cols 1-3 -->. When I get this bit right, it will form the new home page on WP.

Paul's 3-column doesn't work in all browsers according to his site, whereas Matt Taylor's does. I've screwed it up by some change I made in my blissful ignorance. I've moved the page to peterwade dot com slash test.html and temporarily gone back to tables, since 55&#37; of my visitors are IE based. It took all of a couple of minutes to change to tables, compared to the complexity of cross-browser positioning in CSS!

Thanks,
    Peter

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by posword View Post

Paul's 3-column doesn't work in all browsers according to his site, w
    It works in every browser that 99.9% of the market uses. The few it doesn't work in nobody ever uses. It's a very stable technnique.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com