SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand most users have a screen resolution of 1024768 or higher (1024 x 768 has a 57% share as of Jan 06), but there still exists a large minority have 800600.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but what does that have to do with anything? That only tells us how big their monitors are, not the sizes of their browser windows.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess, but don't you fill every part of your screen for the browser or at least try to.

titlebar
    nav including menu
    tabs
    main screen

statusbar
    toolbar

I originally thought of the fact people can resize their browser but thought the above or am I missing something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cod Fish View Post
    I guess, but don't you fill every part of your screen for the browser or at least try to.
    No, I don't. At the office I have a set-up of dual 1280×1024 pixel 19" monitors. My browser window normally has a content area of 1020×872 pixels or so. In other words, I use less than half the available monitor real estate for my browser.

The point I was trying to make is that the browser window isn't necessarily maximised. The larger the monitor, the more likely it is that the browser isn't maximised. The whole point of having large monitors – aside from those with low vision – is that you want to be able to have several applications open and visible at once.

So even if you find that there are a hundred million people with a monitor size of 1280×1024, you still have no idea what pixel dimensions your site should be. How do you know that 99% of those hundred million users don't use a 600×600 browser window? (I'm exaggerating, of course, but merely to illustrate the point.)

Instead of focusing on specific pixel dimensions, which change over time anyway, I think it's a lot better to make sure a web site is as adaptable as possible. Then you'll add minimum and maximum constraints to ensure usability and readability.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the UI complexity. If the site is generally boxy looking, then liquid layout! If the site has complex layout, then fixed layout! As for the size, I would design around 19 inch monitor myself. For me, whenever I make UI design, I try to make it scrollbar less.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    As for the size, I would design around 19 inch monitor myself.

There's never a brick wall handy when you need it.....

The physical size of the monitor does NOT equate to any particular screen resolution.
    Even if it did, the screen resolution does NOT equate to any particular viewport size.
    A 19" monitor could still have browser windows 750px wide, or less!

Designing around a 19 inch monitor is like writing in orange pen so that French people can read it, on the basis that you once saw someone in France using an orange pen.

Make a design that will work on my computer with my default settings. I won't tell you what they are, you don't need to know. Just make a site that will work for me. I don't give a damn what screen size you have, I don't give a damn what resolution you have it set to. I have my computer set up how I want it, and if I am the customer on your website, I will only be a customer if your design works for me.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post

There's never a brick wall handy when you need it.....

The physical size of the monitor does NOT equate to any particular screen resolution.
    Even if it did, the screen resolution does NOT equate to any particular viewport size.
    A 19" monitor could still have browser windows 750px wide, or less!

Designing around a 19 inch monitor is like writing in orange pen so that French people can read it, on the basis that you once saw someone in France using an orange pen.

Make a design that will work on my computer with my default settings. I won't tell you what they are, you don't need to know. Just make a site that will work for me. I don't give a damn what screen size you have, I don't give a damn what resolution you have it set to. I have my computer set up how I want it, and if I am the customer on your website, I will only be a customer if your design works for me.
    lol~ yes, I can make my design viewable in 2in screen which is what scrollbar is for...hahaha

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol~ yes, I can make my design viewable in 2in screen which is what scrollbar is for...hahaha
    Yea, with a 2 inch screen I bet you have to scroll about the equilivent of a mile to see the whole page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello friends,

I am lisa and m new to the forum. I was looking for some general info. regarding canvas size of website.
    This post has all the info. I required ,even more than what i was looking for.

Thanks to all for sharing informtion.Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the UI complexity. If the site is generally boxy looking, then liquid layout! If the site has complex layout, then fixed layout!
    I'd say that's either prejudice or a lack of skill. If a layout is so 'complex' that it must be a fixed width, then it's unsuitable for the web.

For me, whenever I make UI design, I try to make it scrollbar less.
    Then I assume you make web sites with no content whatsoever, since a viewport can be very very small. Or do you mean no scrollbars when using a maximised IE window with no additional tool bars, on a 12801024 monitor with 96 DPI and OEM settings through and through? That's not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Designing around a 19 inch monitor is like writing in orange pen so that French people can read it

Best. Quote. Yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that there is a right answer for this question. In web development there are preferences.

I could prefer to make my designs at 1200px wide.. but someone else could prefer to make it at 900px or 800px.

There is no WRONG answer, there are preferences and in the end it ends up being the client to decide what they prefer...

NickBurd.Com

Check out my site, give me a shout
    and let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Burd View Post
    I could prefer to make my designs at 1200px wide.. but someone else could prefer to make it at 900px or 800px.
    But is what you – as the designer/developer – want really relevant? Isn't it what the visitors to the site want that really matters? They're the ones who are going to have to live with the result, after all.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    and in the end it ends up being the client to decide what they prefer...
    Best thing I think we can do is attempt to inform the client of what kinds of users they are likely to receive, but after that, if you want them to remain your client, you ultimately do what they want (or, if you can't make yourself do that, recommend someone else to do the job).