User Tag List

Thread: I'm burned out!

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm burned out!

Okay, first let me say I took some time off to spend with my mother. She passed away a little over a week ago. Now I am ready to get a job again after being let go yet again from my last job in February. I have to be honest here folks, I'm burned out. I'm burned out from doing Flash, I'm burned out from doing Photoshop. I dread having to go back to yet another job where they won't like what I do until the 100th revision. I dread it. But it's the only way I know how to make a livable wage. I need some suggestions that might help me here. Thank you.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately in our industry that is something which happens often, developers and designers have a very high burnout rate and I can understand why you feel that way, I don't really know what to suggest because in all areas of the web revisions are a required evil, perhaps you might want to train in a different field if you really cannot stand the need to tweak?

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given what you've gone through over the past 5 months, it's also possible what you're feeling is clinical depression. IANAD, nor do I play one on TV, but I have seen the signs before and recommend talking with your internalist before choosing to jump off a cliff with your career.

Handy tip: you never try to find a job in a field outside your expertise when you are starting your search without a job in a global recession.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should not call depression clinical unless it has been occuring longer than 6 months (some doctors say a year) and it has been diagnosed by a professional. He said he was suffering burnout (a common psychological condition amongst stressful professions) but giving out misleading stuff like that isnt a good idea.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which part of "IANAD, nor do I play one on TV" was misleading? The fact that he doesn't feel the way he used to feel may mean something more is going on than just job issues. Just because you're "supposed" to wait six months (he's at 5 now) doesn't mean he should wait longer to make sure someone who IS a doctor is helping him monitor the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I keep from getting burned out is to take breaks often and only work 6-hour days.
    Mentally having my head in Photoshop and a bunch of folders all day is a drag.. I do it for 2 hours go jogging for 45 minutes another 2 hours of work take a walk for 20 minutes ect.

9-5 40 hour week would do me in.. Seriously I couldn’t do it..

I can’t see how people could just pull up to a computer and go at it for 8 hour straight. I know people who do, everyday but not me.

But I know where you are coming from I toy on the edge of burn out a lot.. I can feel creeping in and take more breaks.

You might have to switch careers for a while if it gets too bad.

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have always been depressed so that's a given.
    I am 49 this August. That makes everything harder. But these days people change professions later in life so it's very possible for me to do it, I guess...

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that gives us a bit more to work with.

First, of course, go check in with your doctor to make sure you're physically ok and that nothing needs to be tweaked.

After that, really think about what you want to do that's different from looking for a job that may not materialize. It may be that the solution is to pick better companies to work for, to use your talents in other ways (e.g., teaching), or to jump into a whole new arena that's slightly related to what you were doing at your last few jobs. Using what you know and do well will help you get somewhere new faster.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your age has little to do with changing professions. My father changed careers in his mid-fifties and became a successful teacher. If you wish to change careers then go for it.

Being burned out is a common occurrence in this industry. You're not the first and you're definitely not the last person to become disillusioned with your working life. There are countless posts on sites like Reddit and Stack Overflow regarding burnout so search on Google for questions regarding burnout from those websites and you'll find some great real-world advice.

At your age I think it can be safely assumed that you know what you're doing. Why not try and take a new direction with your life? Become a consultant or start up your own company and try to relive what made you interested in designing. Take the designer hat off and put a manager hat on, you might find that with your experience you could switch to a good managerial job and push fellow designers to doing good work.

Just because you're burned out doesn't mean that you've completely lost the passion for your work. Perhaps it's just your minds way of telling you that you need to progress. Try punching above your weight and see if your experience can land you a great job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have felt depressed it is definately worth going to see your doctor as they can offer all sorts of services (including just someone to talk to about your worries), so definately go get it checked out because burnout can repeat itself quite quickly if the underlying causes are not dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by amf45 View Post
    First, of course, go check in with your doctor to make sure you're physically ok and that nothing needs to be tweaked.
    When I read the bit about getting "tweaked" I burst out laughing.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rough it out, then it becomes numb. You won't feel any pail in redoing it for 100th times. Just treat as a work. As you as you get out by 5 p.m. then you're ok.

I'm sorry to say... I'm in the other hand.. bored out of my mind at work.... each day feels like entire week.... ah~~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Just rough it out, then it becomes numb. You won't feel any pail in redoing it for 100th times. Just treat as a work. As you as you get out by 5 p.m. then you're ok.

I'm sorry to say... I'm in the other hand.. bored out of my mind at work.... each day feels like entire week.... ah~~~
    That's a great way to make you feel depressed and burn out even more.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post

Me too. We're all definitely spending way too much time with computer geekery. Give your thoughts a float:left, and all will be good, and avoid position:static!

Seriously though, 49 is nothing. When I was at Uni, there was a really nice chap in my Philosophy courses. He was 72 years old. Nobody felt it was inappropiate or thought he was too old to focus on a different field of interest. He was bloody brilliant, quick learner, and one of the best in our field!
    You only have this one life.

Depression is horrible, of course, and nothing to be taken lightly. But, like many have already stated, there is a lot you can do about it.
    Doing nothing, however, will not get you anywhere or help you. It will just hurt you and those around you.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    kohoutek, problem with getting old is your brain starts to clear: both; and as a result you end up getting stubborn (or as we call it position: fixed;!)

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kohoutek, problem with getting old is your brain starts to clear: both; and as a result you end up getting stubborn (or as we call it position: fixed;!)

I assure you, however, this isn't an age matter!
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant any meds he might be taking or anything else the doctor has him doing to manage it. Jeeeeeezzz....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yea I know, I just had the mental image of a psychologist with a screwdriver and a flashlight.