SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing more, sometimes, put my blog topic in mind, i mean , i have to find related pictures, but i just can't possibly have all the varieties of pictures, so i just buy --i dont; want to be bothered by the copyright issue and i do respect all the pictures taken by people ,cauz i'm one of them !!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I concur with the above. Honestly the safest way is pay the small fees at some of the top pay sites. Two things; The first, we need to support our photographers and graphic artists; and the second, you will be protected against bunk things like what happened to user above.

In short; stay safe, support artists, get cooler stuff...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Nikon for that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I need any Image than i prefer Google images.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can link from blog to blog, get them from other sites and give them credit, you can pay for you photos. It just depends on what photos you are looking to get. You can edit photos and make them your own.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but editing a photo does not make it your own. It makes it a derivative work. You still could be held liable and legally responsible.

SitePoint Member georgeshoemoney's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watermarking involve "stamping" your images in such a way that it can be identified as your images. Using a combination of the two is a very good way to make sure everyone realizes that you own the rights to your images.
    <snip/>
    Last edited by ScallioXTX; Jul 30, 2010 at 01:23. Reason: removed fake signature - wait a total of 90 days to expire to avail of a signature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    In which case you are in violation of copyright. Don't be surprised if you also get a letter from the Attorney's at Corbis, Getty, or another of the sites that own and protect their copyrights.

Copyright infringement is illegal. Depending on the intellectual property stolen, it can even be a felony. Please do not advise other SitePoint members to take part in illegal activities.
    There is a company that is teaming with news organizations to file lawsuits against those using copyrighted stories on blogs and websites.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...g-for-dollars/

The problem is that not only are they going after wholesale theft of complete news stories, they are going after forum owners whose members post news stories. And not even complete news stories. Even using a fragment for what many people consider "fair use" is generating attention from lawyers.

The United States is lawsuit land. Anybody can sue for anything. If you get sued, you are not necessarily entitled to attorneys fees should you win. That creates an incentive to settle lawsuits as cheaply as possible. And the lawyers know this. That's what the company in the lawsuit is doing. They are suing and asking for an amount which would be about what it would cost the defendant to hire an attorney.

The link above is not about images, it is about news stories and fragments. News organizations are also trying to get information contained in news stories subject to copyright protections. If a news organization breaks a story, they want to prevent anyone from discussing that story even if they are not copying stories verbatim.

Under the current political environment which favors trial lawyers, expect this kind of lawsuit industry to continue to grow. Getty did it with images a few years ago. Now they are going after news stories. It will continue to expand.

If you are a non-American, you do not have to worry about this lawsuit free-for-all. But if you live in America, you are going to be targeted. Everyone is, even small bloggers. So doing anything that infringes copyrights in any way is not wise at this time.

That is why everyone must support reform of our copyright laws.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually you can take every kind of picture from the web, but there is a website..now i can't emember it, with professional pictures, all type of pictures, but realised in a really professional style; it helps for the businesse's profile and logos.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most picture i take a photo by myself,i like to use myself picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always take my digi cam with me wherever I go, you never know when big foot will cross the road in front of you, or anything else you can utube or blog about will happen.

In fact, if I didn't have a cam, I probably wouldn't blog at all. It's true "A picture is worth a thousand words".

If you want to say something to people, why not give yourself a thousand word head start?

I don't think you can link to a story as effectively with stock photos, as you can with photos you take yourself.

If you're into something that can't really photo, like web design, still I think you're better off placing images of things you've done yourself, rather than using stock photos/graphics and trying to match something up with your story line.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my camera!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion and quite useful from legal aspects of publishing photos. But can anyone tell me how the photos can be altered with photoshop etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos in my blogs are generally my own. It is so important to have your own camera and use it often.

Also, if you are blogging about computers, you can do screenshots of different images to explain your point.

And of course, google images are great as long as you do not use ones that are owned by someone else.

If you see an image you really like you can always contact the website you found it see if you can use (perhaps if you give them a reference).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flickr has a creative commons search function with tons of images, just have to reference them

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use the pics taken from my cam or ask some friends if i can use pics from em..if not i just search the web for free photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always take photo from Google images and thanks for sharing some links

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devashishseo View Post
    I always take photo from Google images
    that is stealing
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally use my photo gallery to create a blog but there are so many web site those are providing free image.

SitePoint Member ebusinesstutor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use iStockPhoto when I want great business metaphor type ideas. Very affordable. For general stuff, I sometimes find good free ones on Morguefile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use iclipart. They have a very large selection. They usually have what I want but I'm not always satisfied.

I have a new project that I'll probably have to hire a photographer for. Sometimes you can't use stock photos.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Dec 10, 2010 at 20:21. Reason: fixing link

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i remember correctly there is search engine for creative commons attribution images which you can use on your site if you're ready to give attribution.

SitePoint Enthusiast pickledshark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, bloggers search free photos on the internet like on flickr and etc. But if you want it to be more unique and satisfying to your taste, you can get your camera and take your pictures.
    Fresh Store Builder
    Create Amazon Stores & earn $$$$ daily as an Amazon Associate

Only $97

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems to me there are enough suggestions to last the OP for a lifetime, so there is no need for anymore. Thanks every one for your input!

Thread closed.
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy