User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Happiness = a state of well-being and contentment (Webster)

Okay, you call it happiness, I'll call it satisfaction for now. I'll get a sense of satisfaction that lasts for a few minutes before I completely deny it and look down on what seeemed like it was alright. So, the problem is, I'm never satisfied with the things I do. And the state of not being satisfied motivates me to try harder next time. And the next. And then the next. I might be doing something wrong.

Mephisto! Where is he when one needs him?
    I think that you are doing something wrong, for to chase constantly after the unattainable is not letting you rest and take pleasure in the act of doing, because from the start you preclude success.

I think we need to go to PM with this one as well. Too complex and personal here on the boards
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I think that you are doing something wrong, for to chase constantly after the unattainable is not letting you rest and take pleasure in the act of doing, because from the start you preclude success.

I think we need to go to PM with this one as well. Too complex and personal here on the boards
    This isn't correct. I take pleasure in doing. The end result is what has less value in my eyes. I do not preclude success. If I were convinced that everything was bound to fail, by its very definition, I'd not go into the trouble of doing to begin with.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't correct. I take pleasure in doing. The end result is what has less value in my eyes. I do not preclude success. If I were convinced that everything was bound to fail, by its very definition, I'd not go into the trouble of doing to begin with.
    -------------------------------

So, the problem is, I'm never satisfied with the things I do. And the state of not being satisfied motivates me to try harder next time. And the next. And then the next. I might be doing something wrong.
    Emphasis added by me
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life, for me, is about doing more. It's about doing everything within your power to reach your highest possible target - and then setting yourself a harder target. I believe if the world did that as a whole, the world would be a better place.

President John Kennedy said, in September '62:
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
    Exploration is what drives humanity. At the moment we are so stuck up with our OWN cultural differences - where we live, what our government thinks, which god(s) we worship (if any) - and that has long been a big roadblock in human exploration. We won't get anywhere if we are constantly in disagreement. Of course, thanks to the space race we made it to the moon, but the situation is very different now.

So, what does life mean to me? To me, life is an opportunity. That opportunity is one that allows you to do what YOU want to do - personally, I want to be a part of the next stage in the space race - landing a man on Mars.

I'm going to university to study Physics & Astronomy in a couple of years; two things which have long been a passion of mine. So, there's my opportunity. I have my ultimate goal, and it's not one I'm going to let go of any time soon.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura
    Emphasis added by me
    I think you two are speaking different languages.

I think I know what she's describing. She's describing that same feeling I had over that old website I'd shown you. Yes, I was proud of it and proud of doing it; but at the same time I'm so much better now that its mistakes were an eye-sore to me.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    I derive satisfaction from having done something worthwile (which is my ultimative goal). That is much more narcisstic than it is altruistic.
    Something worthwhile and long-lasting ?

Yeah, that's been my goal too. I figure I'm not going to be around this planet forever, so something I make should be.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

Yeah, that's been my goal too. I figure I'm not going to be around this planet forever, so something I make should be.

Ha, do you think my concept that I will be around this planet forever (or at least while the planet is around) is flawed?
    Saul

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall
    I believe if the world did that as a whole, the world would be a better place.
    The world doesn't think and act as a whole though, thank goodness. I prefer to remain a sentient, self-sovereign being than be forced to act as a mind-less ant in a colony.

For people to act 'as a whole', some one person (or elite few) would have to call the shots, because we don't share a single brain; and that means the one person (or elite few) deciding for everyone else what is right and wrong, moral and immoral, and what should and shouldn't be done.

That's not a hop, skip and a jump away from Kim Jong Il or Stalin or the Pope.

Of course, thanks to the space race we made it to the moon, but the situation is very different now.
    People generally enjoy competing. If there was a Martian race, I'm sure you'll see that fire again. It's a pity that there aren't more countries capable of getting out there. Competition always results in innovation and excellence.

SitePoint Enthusiast DavidChildress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...as much as possible, "being comfortable with one's place in the universe" which are taking place "in the stream of time of present human events" ... and to the extent that it is possible, ...

....finding enjoyment in assisting others--- to the maximum limits of their cognitive abilities (man, woman, child, dog, cat, bird)--- to "make sense of the things that are occurring in the world around them"

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Something worthwhile and long-lasting ?

You hit the nail on the head with both posts. That is exactly what I meant.
    Is it naive? Perhaps.

You gave a good example with your portfolio. When I worked on my own site, I was completely and entirely convinced that it was good, perhaps the best I could do.
    A week, after the initial launch, eventhough the site had received good feedback I thought, gosh, what a load of rubbish you've created. So, I explored new ideas.

So, what I have been trying to say all along was that, it's not so much that I disqualify things from the beginning. If I did, I wouldn't attempt at doing them.
    It's more that when a work is done, that I look back and think, boy, you could have done that a lot better and find all kinds of things that are wrong with it, with some of the critique being justified and other points of the critique, not so much.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happiness: What a futile pursuit. Rudy was correct: Happiness is a choice

SitePoint Enthusiast DavidChildress's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Happiness: What a futile pursuit. Rudy was correct: Happiness is a choice
    I could be wrong, but I think it was Abraham Lincoln who stated "most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be"

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my perspective, in broader terms than I outlined previously.

Here I am, sitting on a sofa with a machine which is smaller than a large pizza, has no wires coming out of it yet can do over 4 billion calculations in a second. I'm expressing my point of view to potentially millions of people over the world with ease. I have a much smaller machine 1/5th the width of the length of my hand which I can use to listen to one of THOUSANDS of songs of my choice. I have a phone which not only allows me to ring someone the other side of the world, but send them high-quality images and videos, stream live TV, surf the web and talk on MSN on the bus. I can pause and rewind HOURS of live TV (out of approx. 1000 channels) and save it to watch it later.

Can you even imagine doing any of that 20 years ago!?

What I'm doing right now is all thanks to people in the past trying to improve life for the future generations.

And that's why I want to have a job which involves doing something that's never been done before, making the impossible possible - because tomorrow the goal is going to be 200,000 times further away!

That's actually what has detracted me from web development in recent months. Whilst it is my strongest area, it's not something which has the potential to change the world. I could write a CMS tomorrow - but how will that help the future?

What I HOPE is that my children will grow up taking for granted the things that would, today, blow my mind. Hopefully for me, a decade or two will pass before I have to worry about that.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Always have a backup plan! failsafe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is happiness? There are perhaps as many definitions as there are individuals. What is our place in the world? Is there a meaning to life? All heavy questions.

For me, I strive for contentment sparked with moments of bliss. Those moments that are unfettered by the cares and worries of the day where it is enough to just be.

I know, I know. This sounds a little out there, but just think of those rare times when you feel totally unencumbered. Don't you just wish that you could bottle that feeling so you could pop the cork on your more trying days and take a sniff?

Maybe that moment of nirvana is a sunny walk on the beach with the salt spray fresh in your nostrils. Perhaps it is the fleeting sight of a hummingbird visiting the vermillon throat of a trumpet flower; or the musicality of a child's unrestrained giggle; the trusting gaze of a beloved aging pet; the towering crescendo of a soaring rhapsody; skiing down a slope of new fallen snow.

I've been relatively rich and relatively poor at various times in my life and I haven't noticed a real difference in the happiness quotient. In fact, I postulate that having less money forces us to find other, more basic, ways of finding happiness or contentment.

It's possible that the stampede to make more and more money crowds the soul, creating more want and occupying so much of our time that we do not have the chance to enjoy the simple, beautiful things and people in our lives. The more we have the more we need to work to maintain it. Remember the saying that there was never a person who on their death bed wished they had spent more time at the office.

Cheers.
    "We're all mad here." Cheshire Cat—Alice in Wonderland, 1865

Graphic Design • Web Development • Writing and Voice Services

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    What I'm doing right now is all thanks to people in the past trying to improve life for the future generations.
    What I'm doing right now is all thanks to people in the past who tried to improve life for themselves and people today who try to improve their lives now, including me.

How it is different from what you said? This:

Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    I could write a CMS tomorrow - but how will that help the future?
    What if the man who invented the wheel said, "oh I dunno, how this will help the future? Let's keep it square". What if Larry and Sergey said, "scrap this, this stupid program won't help the future"?

How do you define things that help and that don't help the future?

I'm sure of one thing, if it helps me - I'm doing it. And maybe, just maybe future generations will find it useful and improve upon. Just like they improved the wheel, the radio, the tv, computers, etc. Each of them were not created with "the future" in mind, they solved very specific problems of those times and no-one ever thought they would solve so many more problems in the future, nor they really cared (well, maybe some did but that was not a deciding factor).

Dreams are good, but we don't live in dreams. Dreamers write fiction books to entertain others, problem solvers solve problems of today and as a by product, of tomorrow
    Saul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by failsafe View Post
    Don't you just wish that you could bottle that feeling so you could pop the cork on your more trying days and take a sniff?
    As a matter of fact I do. And while it's not easy, I'm trying to remember the events, places, things I do to replicate those feelings.

To me, the key elements for happiness are freedom and independence, a little less achievement. If combined all, it's extatic. And the best example of those were the ends of school years in high school, the ends of semesters in university. Both, sudden sense of freedom and achievement of great results... aah, feeling nostalgic now here, and at a loss how am I supposed to revive those feelings now that those times are long gone!! *sniff*

Maybe I should get a day job then quit it just to get that feeling again?
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ It's often been said that the intrinsic value is not in the destination but in one's journey to get there.
    (We are sounding very philosophical, aren't we? I've been on holidays the past week and will be sad when I get back to work and will not be able to spend as much time opining on SP issues!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post

Dreams are good, but we don't live in dreams. Dreamers write fiction books to entertain others, problem solvers solve problems of today and as a by product, of tomorrow
    I think it's quite possible to have dreams and to be a practical "problem solver" at the same time.

Peace.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is beautiful! Enjoy your life everyday..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by failsafe View Post
    I think it's quite possible to have dreams and to be a practical "problem solver" at the same time.

Peace.
    It is, while knowing the difference at the same time.
    Saul

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is important. This is a gift from god.I love my life.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life : Sth that is maiden by boring moments and mad hours and nasty hours

SitePoint Enthusiast icebreaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life must be used by everyone to do good only.
    Get Thousands of Real Visitors | Very Cheap Price!
    Fugazi To Launch Website Soon | For Your Information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    life is like a box of chocolate. lols. you'll never know what your gonna get. lols

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever woke up on a Christmas morning, seeing your children run down the stairs with joy in their eyes.