User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Firstly yes I do use paid software (a mixture of paid and free) Secondly you are entirely wrong so please don't make false claims, stating all free programs have no support is blatently a lie. Let me tell you a story... Nero 9 is a burning piece of software I paid for, it refused to install, the software was buggy and crashed all the time, I phoned their helpline and they refused to assist me, refused a refund (I had to go through the credit card company to get compensated) and their forums are filled with unhappy customers. That is a highly successful commercial product.

Now lets look at free software... have you ever used apache, mySQL, openoffice, GIMP or firefox? Because I can tell you that the communities who provide support for those products are better than any commercial products support I have come across... they are community driven by experts who use the products. Stating free products have no form of support is absurd, if that were true and there was no form of support (either from the makers or the community developers) no open source products would be successful.
    I completely disagree with you. Maybe, some freeware have support but most of them has no support and nobody pay attention to our software problems.

But you are so right that there are paid software companies with very bad support and so on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    You don't think you generalise but you are making an assumption about every piece of free software in existance, most of which you have probably never even heard of let alone used? You are just stigmatising free software illigitately because the truth of the matter is that free software is on equal grounds with commercial products in terms of features, support, community usage (et al) if you look at the industry as a whole. And I am not saying this as a user of software but as someone who has been producing software both freely and commercially since the mid 90's.
    I speak from the position of an ordinary user. I do not care if some software is paid or free. I do care about the program quality, the program support, the program features, and the program interface. If they are good, really good, I use and prefer this software.
    Last edited by leni341; Jul 22, 2009 at 03:59.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leni, I know that already :| I've got it sorted out.

I just want to add I agree with Alex, there is a lot of commercial software out there that because the word of mouth about there product as spread like wildfire, they feel they don't have to give support or improve on the product, as it just will be bought <period> And this goes for a lot of industries out there, when you get cocky you fall hard.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by leni341 View Post
    (...)

I do not trust at the free programs and respectively at the free firewalls because often 'free' means 'it does not work properly'.
    Well according to your opinion i am not agree ---Free meanz something we 've to prefer with some reasonable rules and according to best quality-----