SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

\m/ R.I.P. Dimebag! \m/ JimBolla's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SQL server database schema modifcation logging application

I'm planning out an application that will run as a windows service on a machine running MSSQL that will track changes made to the schema of a database. it would track adds/edits/deletes on:

* tables
    * columns
    * indexes
    * keys
    * views
    * stored procedures
    * functions

anytime a modification is made, an entry would be logged to either an XML file or a database table (haven't decided yet) along with timestamp/user info.

the purpose of the app basically stems out of our need for a reliable/efficient way for an application we already wrote to auto-update its database whenever we roll out an update for the application. (database schema changes are frequent due to the fact that the client has yet to fully make up their mind and spec out what the application is supposed to have... even though we are almost a year into development)

i plan to start working on this app in the near future as a "pet project" and was wondering if anyone has any input on it. also, if there is a product that already does this, i wouldn't mind knowing about it. i'm open to suggestions for features and would like to know if anyone else has a desire for an app like this. i'm looking forward to everyone's input.
    -- JIM BOLLA
    Wanna play Halo 2? My XBOX Live gamertag: crowdozer

\m/ R.I.P. Dimebag! \m/ JimBolla's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still looking for feedback on this
    Last edited by crowdozer; Jun 23, 2002 at 11:27.
    -- JIM BOLLA
    Wanna play Halo 2? My XBOX Live gamertag: crowdozer