SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I gain access to a partner companies DB? (Share each other's DB)

We have a partner company that we have been working with for some time now. Product lines we don't carry we obtain from them and vice versa. The problem is that it's quite a hassle everytime we need to ask them for pricing on a product they carry. We need to call them, interrupt their work, and have them call us back or sit on the phone until they find the price.

I'd like to somehow share both our dabases so looking up each others pricing information would eliminate much of the hassle. Is this possible, and if so, what would be the best approach?

Thanks!
    Keomed.com Webmaster
    www.keomed.com

\m/ R.I.P. Dimebag! \m/ JimBolla's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a job for.... nanananananana.... Web Services!

1. What is a Web Service?

Simply put, a Web service is an application that exposes a programmatic interface using standard, Internet-friendly protocols.

Web services are designed to be used by other programs or applications rather than by humans. Programs invoking a Web service are called clients. SOAP over HTTP is the most commonly used protocol for invoking Web services. For more information, read chapter 1 of my book online.

2. Why would I create/use a Web Service?

By exposing data and functionality using standard protocols, Web services make it easy to build sophisticated applications that integrate many features and content. There are three main uses of Web services.

Application integration Web services within an intranet are commonly used to integrate business applications running on disparate platforms. For example, a .NET client running on Windows 2000 can easily invoke a Java Web service running on a mainframe or Unix machine to retrieve data from a legacy application.

Business integration Web services allow trading partners to engage in e-business leveraging the existing Internet infrastructure. Organizations can send electronic purchase orders to suppliers and receive electronic invoices. Doing e-business with Web services means a low barrier to entry because Web services can be added to existing applications running on any platform without changing legacy code.

Commercial Web services focus on selling content and business services to clients over the Internet similar to familiar Web pages. Unlike Web pages, commercial Web services target applications not humans as their direct users. Continental Airlines exposes flight schedules and status Web services for travel Web sites and agencies to use in their applications. Like Web pages, commercial Web services are valuable only if they expose a valuable service or content. It would be very difficult to get customers to pay you for using a Web service that creates business charts with the customers’ data. Customers would rather buy a charting component (e.g. COM or .NET component) and install it on the same machine as their application. On the other hand, it makes sense to sell real-time weather information or stock quotes as a Web service. Technology can help you add value to your services and explore new markets, but ultimately customers pay for contents and/or business services, not for technology. For more information, read chapter 1 of my book online.
    Courtesy of (copy/pasted from): http://www.vbws.com/faq/default.aspx
    -- JIM BOLLA
    Wanna play Halo 2? My XBOX Live gamertag: crowdozer

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this an extremely complex and difficult thing to do? Or will it be similar to connecting to DB's in ASP once I configure the servers to be .NET compatible?

I'm just wondering if this is something I could do.

Thanks!
    Keomed.com Webmaster
    www.keomed.com