SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something automatically unzipping files

Hi all - I haven't used Windows or Internet Explorer in so many years, I can't figure this out. I teach Internet marketing to beginners who are all on Windows, and when they download a zip file, either the browser or the OS is unzipping the files automatically, but we don't want that to happen. Does anyone know where the setting would be to stop this?

Thanks in advance!

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The files shouldnt be being unzipped without the input from the user at all and not something I have ever come accross!

How are you creating the files and do you have an example that you want testing?
    You can PM me a url if you dont want to post it on here.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, spikez. Actually, it's happening when they download WordPress plugins or themes from various sites, so it's not specific to any particular site. We want to be able to upload the zip file from within WordPress because it's easier than the FTP method. But when they Browse... to find their zip file, they find a folder, already unzipped.

It's conceivable that they're somehow doing it themselves and I don't know it, but I did watch one of them and she definitely didn't double click on it or anything to unzip. I thought maybe it was a new feature of IE or Windows.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The files are not unzipped! Windows since XP has allowed one to browse inside ZIP files without extracting them.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, okay. We didn't see the zip file itself, though, to upload. I'll have to look again at the next class. We probably just missed it. Thanks!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "folder" they found to browse into was the .zip file itself, there was no real folder. Its icon is a folder with a zipper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Dan! I was looking over their shoulder at a laptop and couldn't see that. Eyes are getting old along with the rest of me. I appreciate your help, all of you.