SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla OR Wordpress

Hey,

I want to make an e-commerce website and also include blogs. Now i know wordpress is good for using blogs, but i have recently become aware of joomla and have been advised to use it.

Can anybody help me? If you think Joomla, then can anyone provide a link to help me install and use it step by step..

Thanks
    Regards
    Billy

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    www.joomla.org

Of course, you might have found that yourself googling for it.
    And this question has nothing to do with PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Well, i was getting onto the PHP bit

How would creating a website using Joomla change the way i write my code? I have never used WP or Joomla before you see so i have loads of questions...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla and WP aren't coding frameworks. They're applications. You download them and install them. There's no coding needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Thanks for replying. So which would you consider to be better to match what i am trying to acheive?

I am creating an e-commerce website and want to include blogs...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would creating a website using Joomla change the way i write my code? I have never used WP or Joomla before you see so i have loads of questions...
    Joomla is a better architectural design, but it's user interface isn't the clearest, whereas WordPress wins hands down in this regard.

As far as programming, Joomla has a better interface, but building components isn't easy and is poorly documented and seems only a few are willing to help in the forums. It's a real trial by error approach.

If you are not familiar with building components/modules in other systems and especially MVC, be prepared to take forever.

WordPress is more adhoc, but it's a solution which you will understand as you will likely build most everything from the ground up and be able to find help in generic forums, like SitePoint.

WordPress for anything other than a blog, is a MAJOR hack, if you are OK with that, they use WordPress.

Joomla has a component architecture which is unlike most others I have seen, but it's also overly complex and requires a lot of research and study to get familiar with, enough to build quality addons.

Why not use Magento for the shopping cart and WordPress for the blog? Better yet, use OpenCart for the shopping cart and wordpress for the blog, opencart is really well done, and the code is understandable and easy to follow.
    The only constant in software is change itself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Thanks for replying. Well i have used Magento before and it has caused problems being very slow.

I have just looked at OpenCart and it looks like the better option. Just a final quesiton.

I am now going to use wordpress and opencart. As i have never used wordpress before i wanted to know it i MUST use a wordpress theme or can i style my website using my normal css which i have used in the past..?

Then apply the wordpress blog to the different elements of the website wherever necessary..?

Thanks
    Regards

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress uses standard PHP templates, just find one that is close and modify it as required, I do it all the time
    The only constant in software is change itself