SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if anybody had any experience in selling a website. How to set the price and so on...

The most relevant would be, based on pageviews, newsletter subscribers, forum members etc.

D-Man

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's really no set formula, but the ones listed are a good starting point.

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I was afraid of that.

What I'm thinking about selling is a very targeted literature website, where I suspect the main value is the content. I have added some details below. I really have no idea what it might be worth, 1000$, 10000$, 100000$, so, if anybody with some experience have any idea, HELP?

15% monthly growth
    35000 pageviews a month
    1500 newsletter subscribers
    400+ pages with content

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the URL?

------------------
    Webmaster of Gib-Online Dot COM (or webmistress for that matter!)
    www.gib-online.com
    The Rock of Gibraltar on the WEB

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't give the URL at the moment, sorry. I'm just thinking about selling, so I'm not very interested in drawing much attention to it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some other things that would be useful in determining a value is:

domain name
    scripts
    how long it's been in existence
    ur current revenues
    and on and on

------------------
    I'VE GOT YOUR $MONEY$ HONEY!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The basic formulas of selling a brick and mortar business still apply to a web site. For a real business, you can expect the price to include:
    1) the current inventory
    2) all assets
    3) 24-48 months of projected or actual profits. you can even expect to include up to 6 years of actual profit in some cases.

For a website, the inventory & assets would be the pages, images, scripts, any prepaid hosting, and the value of the domain name. There are several domain name appraisers out there, the one that comes to mind for me is http://www.greatdomains.com. You may also want to up the price if the purchaser wants to keep you from developing any kind of stuff remotely like it in the future. For example, your price may be lower if you are allowed to use a similar formula to develop a site in the future, higher if not, and even higher if the purchaser wants to keep you from doing it for an extended period of time. The profit thing is up to you.

Good luck! We'd all like to know how it turns out! Well, at least I would.

------------------
    http://www.CandMWebDesign.com - The best in web site design, maintenance, marketing, and development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sale this time, and since I'm actually quite happy with running the site myself it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure I would have sold even if the price was good. The site is currently having around 15% monthly growth in visitors so I guess the future looks good.

By the way the URL to the site was http://www.sffworld.com and it's all about Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature.

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    No matter what you are selling (a brick and mortar store, a website, your newsletter, etc.) it's only worth as much as somebody else is willing to pay for it.

------------------
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com
    Articles, Reviews & Resources for webmasters!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Matt, your right! But I assumed that everybody knew that. I was mostly trying to help someone determine value.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen quite a few businesses for auction on eBay. What do you think of this method?

I saw one banner exchange program that used a free script, average domain name, bad design, and was just not very well done. It had like 50 people signed up and almost no traffic. but like you said Matt, it's what they think it's worth. He made it sound really good and convinced people that it was worth thousands of dollars. I think the final bid was like $9000 for probably 5 hours of work!

If it always works like this then this would be a great way to make a living. I saw quite a few little companies like this sell for tons of money. If a person knew some scripting and design skills, they could put together a little company and convince people its worth a lot of money.