SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Monitor for laptop

My 4 year old laptop's hinges started giving out a year ago, and it reached the stage where I had to prop it up to use the machine. Yesterday the one side finally separated completely from the base. Before the side with the connection to the monitor breaks off completely, I have bought an IBM 17 inch monitor to use with the laptop. It is working beautifully, so my question now is ... is it okay (safe) to completely sever what's left holding my laptop monitor on without affecting how the computer functions?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be no problem. Just unscrew enough of the screen half of the laptop to unplug the connecting wires.

SitePoint Evangelist WebMachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. Because I was discarding the laptop monitor, I cut the connection and the external monitor works like a charm! Phew!! It is an old laptop, and it only needs to survive until I get my new one in a month.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that works too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hinges on most laptops can also be replaced relatively easily if you need to keep using the laptop as a laptop. You can often find some replacement hinges on eBay for about $10 - just an option if the rest of the laptop is still in good working order.