SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What to say and which questions should you prepare for

*not* during an interview (problem solved, thanks guys) but at a social mixer such as Meet Up or a Facebook invite where there are other web designers, internet marketers, SEO enthusiasts or CSS artists.

I am a novice compared to some of these people in my local area. Also, I am younger than they are, so I will need to convince these people that I'm seriously interested and knowledgeable. What can we talk about? What will they want to learn from me?

Have any of you been to these meetings b4 and what were your experiences?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have not yet been at a web meetup I have been at countless networking events where I was the novice then the expert (career growth!).

Many believe the goal of these events are to sell, they are partially wrong. You have to sell yourself but not your products, not yet unless there's a genuine interest. In selling yourself your immediate goal is to create a relationship with the other person. You can do so not by talking but making them talk! People love talking about themselves, their work, their passion.

So engage to a conversation with someone without making it sound like an interview. Remember, the other people all have busy lives, they must have a valid reason to let you in. And... you only have one chance to make a first impression.
    D.: Web Developer | Designer | Management Consultant
    // Writing daily on:
    netParticles: Web Promotion and Marketing Blog | Twitter | RSS
    (insightful and helpful. not some know-it-all SEO site with spam text)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, like asking a question: "What do you do?" and then go from there.

I picture that I would gather the courage to go up to someone...say hello...tell the person that I'm new to the meeting...ask him or her how long the person has attended the meeting...ask the question "so, what do you do?"...and I reply that I'm a student who has a limited internship.

So after we socialize, meet and greet, then how do we segue into talking about the *business?* (Our websites or tonight's discussion.)

I still don't feel prepared. Can anyone recommend a good book or magazine on networking tips for internet professionals?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start talking about what I do (business) only if they ask or mention it. Or when a similar topic of interest comes out during the conversation.

A networking cocktail is to get the contact, then you have to follow up and meet again one on one to discuss opportunities you may have together. Try a search on Amazon for a good book, I mostly learned from others (and experience)
    D.: Web Developer | Designer | Management Consultant
    // Writing daily on:
    netParticles: Web Promotion and Marketing Blog | Twitter | RSS
    (insightful and helpful. not some know-it-all SEO site with spam text)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if I join a Meet Up, I have the feeling that it's going to be more than just a networking event.
    In fact, I'm HOPING that there's more. I have no idea what these groups do. I guess, work on a volunteer website for some church and hold a meeting to discuss how it's going? (that's close to doing work)

Are you guys familiar with the other social or tech aspects of these events? What did you get from these experiences?

The locations are at cafes, restaurants, not at some hotel conference room or dining hall like a formal networking event.