SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I go to on the web to find out what I can and cannot say on a website I'm putting together regarding "bad" contractors that are basically ripping off customers in business? (These are remodeling home contractors). My year long exasperting, frustrating and legal battle has got to be heard by others who need to know what to avoid in simple, straightforward language. Any directions, suggestions would be appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're allowed to state your opinion as long as you try not to bias it or go out of your way to blast it out everywhere...where the line is is all in your opinion, but as long as you state your beliefs in a civil tone I don't think you'll be in any legal trouble.

Any lawyers in here who can tell me I'm way off?

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to a CYBER-CAFE set up a yahoo or hotmail account.
    Then go home and write your article, say whatever you want, blast individuals, give out their address and educate people to avoid them and post it to your new email account.
    then......
    back at the cafe, go to one of the many places that offer free webspace and the ability to create your page online, in the content area cut and paste in your own article.

Tell the world!

Its a bit long winded but it keeps you totaly anonymous.(in theory)

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are such things a fair use laws that may apply to this situation. I'd research it a little better though.

------------------
    Street Bikers United - protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.
    New Life Community Church - Your Christian online community

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>"Web talk critical of ananyst spurs suit"
    By Loretta Kalb, Bee Staff Writer
    Published July 15, 2000

"The lawsuit is not the first of its kind, say industry watchers. But it highlights a growing awareness among cyberspace posters that they cannot always stay anonymous. And it reflects increased concern -- and action -- by companies over what is said about them online"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to read the above article from the Sacramento Bee before you decide to leave any questionable and/or negative comments against a business and/or individual that you have a complaint against.

Larger companies are regarding comments posted in forums and newsgroups as being cause to bring a libel lawsuit against the authors, even when they post anonymously. And by filing this libel lawsuit against the '11 web users' in question, they will be able to discover the actual names. A local lawyer recognized his user name and immediately contacted the other side's attorney.

It appears that there are other similar lawsuits, although I haven't read about any others until I saw this article Saturday. Cyber-Law is one of my interests as laws that we use everyday are being questioned and being tested whenever you click on a website - to view, to buy, to comment...

Your best bet is to stay objective and use common sense as to what you can and cannot say, whether in print or on the web - malicious and hateful comments have no place anywhere. Disclaimer: A lawyer would be the one to advise you and inform you of any liability that you might incur if/and when your comments lead to court.

------------------
    Dlynn ~SitePoint Moderator~
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to all who have given there input and suggestions. I have spoken with an attorney who suggested ways in which I could present my case, one example being write about it as it happened to me factually, and allow others in my area to email me personally should they wish to know who to avoid. Also, I found some info on justice.com and looked up cyber law and eventually linked to some outside related articles. Our first amendemnt rights are at stake and are being challenged in the courts (as it relates to the web) and it appears that some personal web owners are winning. When I get back from holiday, I'll be sure to post that article . I also found some personal sites that really slammed some companies because of personal experiences and these very companies were being sued, so it was public record at that point, and that seems to be one of the saving points. But I'm still researching. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Zeeb