SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vertical scrollbar to the left of the page

I'm making an Arabic web page and want to move the vertical scroll bar to the left of the page.

I have applied the property "direction: rtl" to the body in CSS. The scroll bar is on the left in IE but not in FF.

I also tried using the HTML property "dir" and applied it to the HTML tag on the page but it is also not producing the result.

Any solutions?

Thanks!
    Don't be afraid to die....
    My workplace - 4M Designers

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have applied the property "direction: rtl" to the body in CSS.
    Which element did you set that on, in the CSS? The html or the body tag? or both?

<html dir="rtl" lang="ar">
    *edit nevermind you tried that too... still, keep it on your html tag.

All the specs seem to say is that it sets direction for text and tables...

Here's the spec but it really doesn't say anything about things like the scrollbars, only the content.

Are both your testing browsers set to Arabic as their language as well? Because for instance my IEs are running on an Engrish Windows so IE won't let me change the language to Dutch, and everything is defaulted to English. I wonder if there's a difference between an Arabic or Hebrew FF and an English one, as far as browser chrome (what scrollbars are, browser chrome).

I remember someone trying to do a rtl page, and in Safari there was an error with the select element (dropdowns were the wrong direction and text-align didn't seem to work). I was always gonna go see if that was really a bug but never got around to it. So just a heads-up, you might want to check any <select>s on your page as well, in Safari if you have it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Which element did you set that on, in the CSS? The html or the body tag? or both?

<html dir="rtl" lang="ar">
    *edit nevermind you tried that too... still, keep it on your html tag.
    I set the direction property in the HTML as well as BODY tag but does not work. I've tried dir property as well but it does not work as well.

You are right that specs do not mention about the positioning of the scroll bar but the text only.

My browsers are set to English.

By the way, you figured it right that the select element might be a problem in Safari with the "direction: rtl" and same is the case with my page

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wonder if your problem will go away in a FF that's downloaded as Arabic in the first place? Meaning, maybe the browser check which language it's running (a ltr lang or a rtl lang) and sets scrollbars based on that, rather than based on the page the browser is visiting?

If you download a version of FF in Arabic and that problem is solved, then it's out of your hands, and also possibly not an issue if those who will be visiting the Arabic page will tend to have Arabic-language browsers.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the browsers own decisiion on where to render the scrollbars. It's impossible in CSS cross-browser to force it this way. Opera and IE like to place scrollbars on the other edge, while other browsers do just the text.
    Always looking for web design/development work.
    http://www.CodeFundamentals.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you suggest to leave it as it is?

It looks so much better to see the scroll bar on the left side of the page for an arabic page. But life can move on without it as well

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    I wonder if your problem will go away in a FF that's downloaded as Arabic in the first place? Meaning, maybe the browser check which language it's running (a ltr lang or a rtl lang) and sets scrollbars based on that, rather than based on the page the browser is visiting?

If you download a version of FF in Arabic and that problem is solved, then it's out of your hands, and also possibly not an issue if those who will be visiting the Arabic page will tend to have Arabic-language browsers.
    Stomme, I have not tried the Arabic language browser. May be the scroll bar is on the left side bu default for that language but certainly I'm not sure

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mahd View Post
    Stomme, I have not tried the Arabic language browser. May be the scroll bar is on the left side bu default for that language but certainly I'm not sure
    It depends on how the browser implimented it . It's their own choice.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It depends on how the browser implimented it . It's their own choice.
    The language the browser comes in does affect it.

Sometimes in buggy ways: the Dutch version of FF2, I could download Aardvark, but I couldn't run or reach it. Engrish version, magically no problem. Why should the language affect an unrelated plugin? I would imagine a browser with a right-to-left language in it would have stuff rearranged in the Chrome as well, simply because that makes sense. But I don't feel like downloading an Arabic or Hebrew version of some browser just to find out : )

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloading it now . I'll keep you updated. Very big file...

Edit:

Can't understand that....can't get past where to place the FF folder..wth..