User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll: Training to keep up with industry needs

Attention: Creative Agency

If you are owner of a creative agency, do you offer to pay for training and/or tuition reimbursement for your employees (i.e. How conference, Lynda.com, etc.) to keep employee skills current?

If you do offer training as a benefit to build your team's skills, do you expect your employees to participate in training during office hours or on their own time?

Attention: Designers

Do you think it's your personal responsibility to keep your skills current?

If the company your work for offers "training" do you expect training "on company time" or train "off hours" on your own time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the designer's view, yes i would like to keep updated on the current design trends. It's very important since the design changes from time to time.

About the other question, either time is ok with me.
    sig space open...

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well ya keep your skills ccurrent. The web is evolving so you don't really want to be left behind.
    As ot the training, I wouldn't take it. Most likely it's some crap.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    grrlduda, as long as the designer is qualified and knows what they are talking about, they should know exactly where the lapses in their knowledge are and should be self-serving in terms of keeping their own skills up-to-date. The only designers I know who think they have learned all they need too are the kinds of people who think frames are still in fashion and quite frankly don't care much about being professional.

The problem with giving "in-house" training is you are trying to address everyones own individual problems with one failing swoop and that just won't cut it. Rather than force everyone into some kind of open training session which will only benefit a minority of them, perhaps offer them some paid time off work to self-study or if you don't want them abusing the time, organise them on an individual basis to do training in whatever area they feel they need to improve. Design is too broad an area to just get everyone into a room and have someone talk about the subject, when everyone in your team will probably have their own skill levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the kind of industry, though, doesn't it? If it's web development (HTML, CSS, PHP etc etc) then it's pretty important to keep up with the latest standards as laid out by the WSC. Same goes for all the more technical and evolving kinds of work available. I'd say that a freelancer was responsible for their own training with regard to whatever they were doing. As a consultant/contractor, that's what you're being hired for - to be the expert in your chosen field.

When it comes to entrepreneurship and things like DubLi, though, I believe it is the responsibility of the company to keep their affiliates trained, and indeed they are, they have a DubLi unversity which takes over the function of sites such as Lynda.

Horses for courses, at the end. On the whole, it depends on the kind of job, the status of the worker and the relationship between boss and worker.
    all the while!