SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New job vs Stable Old Job

Recently, I received Masters of Computer Science degree this May and I'm wondering if I should take New Job. What I worry is about stability of the new job. For now, if I score from 1 to 10 on job environment at my place.. I would easily give it 9 because it's 100% stress free environment and having to work w/ many talented ppl are pure joy! Still, my salary is based on with "undergraduate" degree. I know degree doesn't really matter but when working for a big company, the degree will determine your salary..regardless how talented you are. The people who has master degree averages about 20~30% higher salary than mine..... yet, I'm still stuck. It's pointless to ask the upper management as there have been salary freeze for last 2 years.

Now my question is "Should I just stay w/ old job or take a chance w/ new job w/ better pay?" Especially, in these times how valuable is "stable job"? currently job is 100% stable for many years to come. If you have similar experience, please share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stable job is more important specially at the places, where IT is running low and where more IT professionals are available to hire.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing says you can't keep your job while you look for another one does it?

It's not sleeping around It's looking out for your own best interests. Your company is doing the same thing by freezing wages for a while during what's likely a tough economy for them. Other companies are not restricted this way, so why not spend a little time and find out what's out there before you get your hopes up that the grass is greener elsewhere?
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. Yup~ already sprinkled my resume and got a call already. Still, one thing I notice about job market is that big companies are not hiring and it's just small/mid size one's I never heard of. So, at the end salary will determine to leave or not but I'm sure I'll ask "how stable is that company?"... and there's no way of knowing it... ah~~~~~

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not out of the question to ask about a company's client base, financials, or anything else that's going to help you make up your mind. If they can give it to you (even under NDA), then great! If not, then it's an unknown and you have to weigh that against the things you know about the job and about your current job.

I have a friend who has been CTO of several firms that have gone through buy-outs and she was looking for her next one. Landed at a firm that was small but tasked with building her dev team out to 50 people in a hurry. Within a year, it was back to 10 people. And now they've secured more funding and are growing again. You just can't know for sure... just as you can never know for sure about the company you're at unless you regularly talk with the sales people to see whether sales are closing.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In job, it's not always about the money for me what's important is that you are happy with your job, that you're always excited to wake up early and go to work. If your happy with the job you can easily bring out what best in you.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 9/10 is pretty good. Lot's of people stay at places because of that.

At a 2/10 place, you can be sure that they won't think twice about firing you the minute the manager wants a bonus for cost reductions achieved.

You can always use your degree later. You earned it, and it will always be yours. You can also use it when applying for promotions. The promotion will usually bring more money. Much more than a seniority raise.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the first post of this thread, I've been fishing for a new job and it seems I have the upper hand since I already have a job. 4 out of 5 recruiters called and thought my expected salary is too high for this economy. There is 1 who is a reputable company and well paid one.. I'm just going to cross my finger for that. Still, I'm going to opt for keeping my current job for now and then I'm going to throw my bait in and see if I can catch a big one! Thanks for all the advice!