User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Trademark keywords in domain name

Hello friends.
    I use a trademark keyword in my domain name, now what will happen.
    My blog will be block or my adsens will be block

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    well depending on what the trademark is an how it has been used, loosing your adsense could be the least of your worries. The owner of the trademark (if under reasonable circumstances) could enforce you to hand over the domain name and if you refuse to give the name over, they could potentially file a lawsuit against you for cybersquatting or intellectual property theft. Essentially you need to make sure your website does not associate itself with the brand where the trademark is held and secondly has nothing todo with the same field as the trademark owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adsense may not block but using trademark may put you in trouble.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by getreffs View Post
    Hello friends.
    I use a trademark keyword in my domain name, now what will happen.
    My blog will be block or my adsens will be block
    you are taking a big risk as it is extremely simple for the trademark owner to take your domain/s away.
    A simple UDRP will very likely result in your domains to be transferred or deleted accordingly to the Trademark owner wishes.

For more details about UDRP please refer to:

http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Sep 19, 2009 at 22:32. Reason: Faux signature removed

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you even consider doing this do some research on the company. Some companies do not mind it if you use their trademark others do. And of course the reason you want to use the trademark plays a big part on if they will allow it.

Companies such as eBay/Paypal for example actively seek out trademark infringements. Within a couple of days of a domain being regged using their trademarks they will contact the owner.

If a company does not like you using their trademark you could be sued or in extreme circumstances imprisoned.

1 trademark you should never touch is the IOC (International Olympic Committee). Their trademark is specifically protected by law.

Also if you believe that a trademark is not valid in your country because it was only registered in x country, then think again. Take a look at the Madrid Treaty. If your country has signed up for it then the trademark stands.

Countries that have signed up
    WIPO information on the Madrid Treaty
    Download my Domain Portfolio Management script.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filth View Post
    Some companies do not mind it if you use their trademark others do. And of course the reason you want to use the trademark plays a big part on if they will allow it.
    @ filth
    I like what you said for the most part. Good information you gave.

However, regarding the portion above, be careful giving advise. I can't think of anyone who would go out and get a trademark and wouldn't mind if others used it. It would've had to first be allowed by them (the trademark holder) to first to be ok with it prior to the 2nd party using it. If under any other circumstances, I'd have to think that every company would have a BIG problem with it - especially in regards to domain names.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with what you are saying linkin99 however some companies (although in the minority) do allow you to use their trademark as long as your site is favourable. If in doubt however always best err in on the side of caution.

There are of course other times you can use a trademark. Take for instance paypalsucks.com. They have been taken to court over this however Paypal lost the ruling.
    Download my Domain Portfolio Management script.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin99 View Post
    I can't think of anyone who would go out and get a trademark and wouldn't mind if others used it.
    Surely even that would violate the terms of the trademark being given, the whole point of protecting intellectual property (such as your mark) is to restrict the usage of the name and to police those who "ride" the unauthorised train. If your not actively protecting your brand or trademark when it's clear there may be a conflict of interest (even fair use) there would be terms for them to loose the mark on the grounds they aren't actively protecting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always safe to avoid trademark names as well as any abbreviation.

Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that your blog would be blocked or your AdSense account would get hampered because of this issue.
    Online Consultant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is something like 45sonyhfgdah.com - that is not trade marked domain name at all