SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Know anyone who is great at graphic design and server side programming?

I'm really curious because I have never met such a person in 10 years of my profession. For me, I am a great server side programmer. If there is a library of graphics or widgets then I'll be more than glad to use them by changing some style properties. However, if someone ask me to create some logo or some images from scratch..I'm dead in the water. Most likely, I'll search the image through Google and pray

At the same time, I met graphic designer who can do all sorts of magic but can't program! They absolutely don't understand the programming pattern at all.. when they do write it, sure it works! but it's the worst spaghetti code you'll ever see. I'm beginning to wonder why it's near impossible to find someone who is great at programming and design... hm~ agree?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a number of members who can design and program a website, including me

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's what that designer said too... of course he's now out of job...

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am mainly a programmer, but I can design. Sure, my designs aren't a work of art - but my designs aren't terrible and I put alot of thought into colors, fonts and spacings.

I'm seeing less and less people who are good at programming but not at web page design. What I am seeing, unfortunately, is that they may have an eye for design, but not markup. Table-based sites with no concept of header use, using HTML attributes to style things and unnecessarily wrapping <div>s around things for no reason other than to say they're using a div based design. It makes me sick!

Sure, mass-hunger, overpopulation and global warming worry me too - but for CRYING OUT LOUD people, markup your pages properly!

</aggravation>
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that great at either -- but I do personally find programming more enjoyable than designing though and it used to be the other way around. I feel like the more I learn programming the less I enjoy designing, and that's really weird for me.

I know what you mean, I haven't met anyone that can do both really well. I probably don't have as many contacts as some people though. I find most people can figure out how to design something fairly decent but they never know what to do with -- I find it harder to come by organized programmers or coders.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can design and I can program. Observe the verb "can". That doens't mean that I am fantastic, but I am not terrible either.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think I know someone who is a great designer and has a potential to be a great programmer.

I also know someone who's won a php guru of the year as well as won a few rounds in avatar design competition. Not to say that this person is necessarily "great" at both, but I think he has potential in both too.

Anyway... I think it is possible albeit not too common.
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is all a matter of human biology really and can be explained quite simply, in almost all cases, humans by default predominantly think either with the left or right side of the brain (more commonly than otherwise), artistic people think differently to people who are more mathmatically or programatically minded. Of course there are rare exceptions where some people think equally with both sides of their brain but the general view is, predominantly either you are a creative person (Designers, artists, writers) or you are fall into the logic category (programmers, engineers, etc).

Now that does not mean that people can't be good at both things, all it means is people tend to focus on what best suits their natural inclination and therefore are able to work better (easier) in that field, not only this but people tend to subcategorise beyond the "mind for numbers or mind for visuals" label and equally fall between the two making themselves "good" but not "awesome" at both areas.

Generally speaking most people fall into one of the following categories...

• Excellent at design, useless at coding
    • Great at design, poor at coding
    • Average at design, average at coding
    • Poor at design, great at coding
    • Useless at design, excellent at coding

I tend to fit into category 3, I have a fair eye for design but I have limited skills in producing unique artwork and have little ability to make great stuff using tools like photoshop, I also have some good solid coding skills but I am certainly no C++ or ASM programmer.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    • Excellent at design, useless at coding
    • Great at design, poor at coding
    • Average at design, average at coding
    • Poor at design, great at coding
    • Useless at design, excellent at coding
    You forgot "useless at both"
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    You forgot "useless at both"
    So I did, how silly of me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can do both, neither greatly tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well one of the probable conclusion is that designers and programmers have a different points of view so basically its like two ends the rarely meets. Also, for a typical human being, they can only excel in one field
    sig space open...