SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Chrome Operating System

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ounced_the.php

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/07...ade-of-chrome/

So Google's got an OS now (or again, if you count Android as more than a phone OS). It's barebones Linux running Chrome, designed to boot into the browser as quickly as possible, and run on netbook-grade hardware.

I could actually see myself using that and being pretty happy with the experience as far as netbooks go. Chrome's already my primary browser, and the stuff I have to leave the browser for I rarely do on the go as it is.

One criticism though... calling Linux with Chrome a new operating system is pure hubris.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now Google is after Microsoft to compete

Hi guys

Do you know that Google is about to unveil that they are developing a PC operating system using the same architecture they have used to develop CHROME browser.

you can read more about this news here http://www.thetechlounge.com/news/13...o-Longer-Beta/
    Last edited by maneetpuri; Jul 10, 2009 at 00:56.
    Maneet Puri
    Lexolution IT Services

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sneaky buggers ey? They've been denying this for years haven't they?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    One criticism though... calling Linux with Chrome a new operating system is pure hubris.
    Totally agree.

Because this has got Google's name attached to it, it will be hyped up by the mainstream, non-tech press. It's going to lead to a lot of non-techies starting to use Linux.
    I really hope Google acknowledges the millions of hours put in by thousands of people to develop the Linux OS and doesn't go around claiming it as its own.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out. They're not expecting to need anti-virus or malware protection - it's just "going to work?" Brave words - interesting to see if they can be backed up if they gain a large enough marketshare to warrant attention from those arenas.

One interesting comment I read was that since these apps have to be browser based to run on this new OS, Chrome is going to be the only browser available to the OS. No Firefox, Safari or Opera. Seems pretty anti-competitive to me....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting move by Google, but I think they've played the OS card too soon and with too much reliance on the Internet.

Despite what everyone seems to think web applications simply aren't close to competing against their desktop counterparts. It would've been great to see Google truly take on the desktop world with an OS, but this just feels like a stripped-down version of Linux with a couple of Google online applications. By the looks of things Google really just want to take the Notebook market and the majority of what we're hearing is marketing hype.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Google pre-installs access to Google Aps aren't they going to be in the same boat the Microsoft is/was with installing IE on their operating system and the anti-trust courts? I can really see this point being driven home if Google gets people like HP and Dell to ship their netbooks running Google's new OS.

@DaveMaxwell - You won't even be able to install other browsers? Not cool...
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    If Google pre-installs access to Google Aps aren't they going to be in the same boat the Microsoft is/was with installing IE on their operating system and the anti-trust courts? I can really see this point being driven home if Google gets people like HP and Dell to ship their netbooks running Google's new OS.

@DaveMaxwell - You won't even be able to install other browsers? Not cool...
    Not from the way they word it. They're planning on using web-only apps. That plan could change once it gets closer to fruition though.

And your question re: the anti-trust thing? My thoughts exactly. Though I have similar thoughts to the way Apple behaves, especially with the iPhone, but nothings happened yet....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google said that the Chrome OS would have a "new windowing system", which makes Chrome sound like it might be more OSX :: BSD than Ubuntu :: Linux. Though it is hard to say with the quantity of information available what the extent of Google's contribution will be.

Quote Originally Posted by corbyboy View Post
    I really hope Google acknowledges the millions of hours put in by thousands of people to develop the Linux OS and doesn't go around claiming it as its own.
    Why? Who cares? Linux has been around for ages. It's not like Google is swooping in and suddenly stealing the glory. If Google can push Linux into mainstream that is their triumph. If Linux contributers didn't want other people capitalizing off their work, they should have read the license better.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corbyboy View Post
    Totally agree.

Because this has got Google's name attached to it, it will be hyped up by the mainstream, non-tech press.
    Already seen it in CNN, BBC, and Yahoo...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... very intresting

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the face of it, this could be GREAT news for Linux and Linux developers. One thing that concerns me a little though is whether or not Google are up to the task. If they could produce something as slick as OSX, but far simpler and quicker, that just worked, I would be amazed - but am lacking faith as they have yet to even release a version of Chrome for Linux....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hyperbolik Apple does this too but noone has stopped them yet!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google chrome is going to be the best within three years.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple does not have the market share to be called a monopoly in any relevant market, which is why it's not considered anticompetitive for them to bundle software like it is when Microsoft does it.

Google, on the other hand, has enough share of online advertising that the DOJ has been giving the company the evil eye ever since the administration change. If Google does eventually get pulled in and deemed a monopoly, then doing something like using its share of the advertising market to influence the operating system market could be considered anticompetitive and punished. But we're a long way from that happening right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is going to really push the industry into the transition from desktop applications to web applications. I like the concept.
    Have a good day.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're still talking about this thing mainly running on netbooks, right? That being said, how many of you actually use a netbook for anything other than traveling?

I don't want to turn this into a debate about the convenience or market share of netbooks. Still, I think it's worth pointing out that if this new OS is developed primarily for netbooks then it's still going to be tough for Google to even think about derailing Microsoft as the OS leader in terms of personal computing.

On a slightly different note, any idea why Google decided not to build on Android? I know they mentioned in their announcement that they wanted to start from the ground up thinking in a different way but isn't that the same intention they had when they bought (and continue to develop) Android?
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    Why? Who cares? Linux has been around for ages. It's not like Google is swooping in and suddenly stealing the glory. If Google can push Linux into mainstream that is their triumph. If Linux contributers didn't want other people capitalizing off their work, they should have read the license better.
    My point was that I hope Google doesn't go round claiming that they have "invented" this OS. Many people with less knowledge about computers than the people on this forum will make this assumption.

I have no problem with Google making money off other Linux developers' efforts. I just hope they do something to make it clear that they are just the developer of an already existing OS and this is not something that they created.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading between the lines here it looks very much as if this is intended to be a lightweight OS with just one application - the Chrome browser.

Think about what Google have been doing with online apps and you'll see they're slowly eliminating the need for locally installed software, everything you need is/will be online - spreadsheets, word processing, email and so on. Sure you can't do everything but for most users it might cover 90% of their computing needs - this just might be paving the way for software as an online service big time.

If this is what they're thinking then everything will be an online application that's run from Googles servers...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question:

What happens when you aren't near wifi running this OS?

Computer's just a paperweight?

Dvorak thinks Google OS is just a bluff to rile up Microsoft and promote Chrome.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely not an unexpected development. When they first announced GoogleChrome browser for windows I expected the stand alone operating system included version to soon follow. The other half of the expectation is that Google will over-hype this with a marketing campaign similar to Microsofts campaign back in 1995 (when Microsoft over-hyped Windows 95 at a time when far superior operating systems already existed)
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fake Steve Jobs on Chrome OS. Hilarious.

I mean, literally, we laugh about it, except when Eric is around. But as soon as he leaves the room we all go "Chrome!" and just burst out laughing. Our guys on the Safari team even had special toilet paper made up with a Chrome logo on every sheet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was said that this could be good for Linux, but at this point, I'd rather see Google helping develop one of the established distros. Ubuntu for instance. If the success of the OS they will build is like the success of the Chrome Browser, I think they might just be wasting their time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it is pure hubris. Almost as much hubris as Linus Torvalds taking Unix and porting it to the Intel architecture and taking credit as the inventor of Linux.

That being said, Chrome has become my browser of choice and I hope this new "O/S" is equally as fast.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
    It was said that this could be good for Linux, but at this point, I'd rather see Google helping develop one of the established distros.
    The Linux fan club has had plenty of time to develop their countless distros. They're problem is they're typical geeks: geniuses at high-tech stuff but clueless about pol-IT-ics (e.g. protecting Linux from Microsoft). Google can show the Linux masses how to both develop a Linux distro and beat M$ at its own game at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkbad View Post
    Ubuntu for instance. If the success of the OS they will build is like the success of the Chrome Browser, I think they might just be wasting their time.
    I just read that Chrome's market share is 6&#37;, pretty impressive for a new browser. If its new OS managed to capture 6% market share in its first year, that would decrease Microsoft's market share by 6%.

In the meantime, the netbook wars keep getting hotter and hotter. I was disappointed to learn that Apple won't be releasing a netbook after all. Instead, they just slashed the prices on their MacBook Pros and released a 13-inch model.

Yet that's exactly what I wanted all along - an ultra-portable computer with the power of a larger laptop. And as the failing economy continues to drive customers to netbooks - and presumably to Google's new OS - I think Apple will more firmly embrace netbooks.

My next hardware purchase will probably be a 13" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard in October, followed by a Google Chrome OS machine a year later.

On edit:
    The uncoordinated Linux assault on Windows has fizzled out, but Google has the money and the presence to reignite the competition.
    Source: Chrome OS: good for you; bad for Microsoft

See also Google Chrome OS is a game changer

Finally, a prediction: Google won't use Jerry Seinfeld or vomit to market its new operating system.