Thread: Browser Issue

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser Issue

Hi

just curious as to why in some browsers if I enter a keyword in the address bar... for example "google" the browser will automatically enter the "www" for you and populate the page while in some browsers if you enter a keyword in the address bar it just brings to a "page not found" with relevant link recommendations?

Am I missing a setting? Please help ... thx

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is all down to the features that come with the web browser, some have them, some do not, it really is as simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard this before. I think in every browser you need to press shift+enter, if you don't want to write the 'www'. Still if any browser enters triple-w from his side then you can never open websites like blogsearch.google as it do not have any www.

Which browser do have this type of features?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme-seo View Post

Which browser do have this type of features?
    Opera and Firefox. Opera's handling of this is not expert, and often it is easier just to use custom search to define it. I'm not sure if Firefox requires a plug-in for this, or if it is in-built.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can type a word or phrase in Firefox's address field and it will do a web search for you. It will sometimes just redirect you to a "relevant" site, but failing that you'll get a results page. Try it by typing "sitepoint" and see where you land

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diCe_Spadez View Post
    Hi

just curious as to why in some browsers if I enter a keyword in the address bar... for example "google" the browser will automatically enter the "www" for you and populate the page while in some browsers if you enter a keyword in the address bar it just brings to a "page not found" with relevant link recommendations?

Am I missing a setting? Please help ... thx
    This is because of the web server not a web browser. They are redirecting all non-www links to www when you browse. It depends on the web site, not the browser.