SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help and advice on domain transfer

i am used to building a site and uploading it to a preferred host and maybe doing some maintenance if the customer so requests. i am about to get into a new situation and need some help.
    i will be redesigning a site for a customer who has been using a website management company for all their web needs. the company was no good and i am going to take over the site design ..development and management. how do i transfer the sites domain name to the new host without any complications from the old management company. there is a small chance i stay with the hosting service they use now but maybe not either way i need to know how i can take control of the domain name from the previous company.
    any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Aliennomad

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    AN,

I moved your thread to the domain board.

What you can do depends upon many things: Whether your client owns the domain and whether he/she has access to control panels both at the registry and host. If yes, yes and yes, you're all set! Just get the login information and redirect the domain to your hosting (the hosting control panel can facilitate a direct copy of all your files to the new host - at least with cPanel).

If there is a no in the above, you could be out of luck if the old company does not want to cooperate.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks DK
    they (not the management company) own the domain but there is still a legal issue on the site ownership and it seems they do not have any of the username and passwords.
    might be in for a bit of a battle.
    thanks for your reply
    cheers
    Aliennomad

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    AN,

Naw, an e-mail from the REGISTERED OWNER to the Registrar is all it'll take to get the account access details - and changing the tech contact will get rid of the management company (don't forget to change the owner's password!!!).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya sure you can transfer the domain name from one owner to other owner. You can get the details from tucktail.com Because my friend done this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliennomad View Post
    how do i transfer the sites domain name to the new host without any complications from the old management company.
    1. If you are transferring the hosting and it is hosted on cPanel, your new host can migrate entire website if you have login details of previous host. Please provide login details of old host to new host and new host will do the rest.

2. If you want to transfer domain name to another registrar, then you have to initiate 'domain transfer' at new registrar. You will need domain 'authentication code' to complete the process.

I hope this will help you.
    Good luck
    Best regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With domain name transfer you need to make sure that you have 60 days before the expiration date and be aware that you will pay for the renewal for one year with domain name transfer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, note that domain transfer (change of Registrar) is not the same as domain owner change (change of Registrant).

While a change of Registrant can simply be performed from the current Registrar control panel, for a change of Registrar you have to perform at least three important steps:

1) You have to unlock the domain from the current Registrar control panel
    2) You have to obtain the EPP Auth Code (also called domain secret, transfer code, transfer authorization code, etc…).
    3) You have to initiate an incoming transfer from the new Registrar website and provide the EPP Auth. Code to the new Registrar.

Once the above three steps have been completed, then the new Registrar (also called the GAINING Registrar), will extract from the losing Registrar public whois the Registrant’s (legal owner) email address. Then an email will be sent to the current Registrant asking to confirm the transfer. This implies current Registrant has to be in control of the email box listed under public whois, if not, there is an alternative way to confirm it by fax but it is not practical and not accepted by all Registrars.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Sep 19, 2009 at 22:33. Reason: Faux signature removed