SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Praise for your books and a suggestion for a new one

Hello,
    I am nearly through your "Build your website the right way..." book and I really loved it. I have taken two community college classes in web design, but this book taught me more than both of those classes by far.

One thing I am very interested in learning more about is blog theming. Most likely wordpress theming. Do you have anything in the works on this topic?

Thanks again for your great products!

M
    Strong Design Studios
    Building a strong face for your business.
    http://www.strongdesignstudios.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress themes are 99% just the HTML and CSS you're already learning. Lay out the theme as a normal webpage just as you do now. Then separate it into header, footer and body pieces (just cut the HTML into 3 blocks) and save them as header.php, footer.php and index.php. Then you replace the title text and body content with some little snippets of WordPress code that fill in the actual text.

Look at a few themes' code and you'll get the hang of it, and feel free to ask any questions you have in the blogging forum here.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might benefit from reading 'Wordpress Theme Design' by Packt press. It would make a good follow-on from Ian Lloyd's book I think, as it does take a hands-on tutorial approach. I'd already had some experience with wp when I bought it, so a few chapters were tedious, but the content of the book will help someone just getting their feet wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan and armchaircritic, thanks SO much for your advice. I will probably pick up the book that armchaircritic recommended and start practicing! Good thing these forums are around to help me out
    Strong Design Studios
    Building a strong face for your business.
    http://www.strongdesignstudios.com