SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple CPU Questions

Just a few quick questions I need answered, hopefully somebody can come to the rescue!

Does a computer's CPU always use the same amount of power, or does it vary depending on its workload?

Also, I know you can get either a 32-bit address bus or a 64-bit. What are the differences between the two in regards to the computer's memory store?

Cheers.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furieix View Post
    Does a computer's CPU always use the same amount of power, or does it vary depending on its workload?
    That depends on the processor and how the OS is setup. A lot of the newer processors step down there speed which in turn reduces there power consumption depending on the workload. Further the OS may control that behavior, for example, when the computer enters in a low power state (battery) it will reduce the CPU's power.

Also, I know you can get either a 32-bit address bus or a 64-bit. What are the differences between the two in regards to the computer's memory store?
    In simple terms 64bit can handle bigger numbers.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that there is anything to do with processor and consumption of power. I am too confused and now worried about how can i save my electricity bill?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme-seo View Post
    I dont think that there is anything to do with processor and consumption of power.
    False. The Pentium 4 was known as a "beast" in the power world because of all the juice it took to run that thing. The latest CPU models are designed to use less power than previous generation models. The thing to look for is the TDP of the chip. See this wiki article for more information.

EDIT: This article has more useful stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation