SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than 1 category in DMOZ

Can your submit the same page of the same website in more than one category in DMOZ? I have heard yes and no, what's the truth. There are about 3 categories that I could legitimately be in.

Don't want to piss off the people at DMOZ by over submitting, just when my site is starting to rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding and experience is that you can list your different pages in different listings. I have a recipes section on my site that is listed in the recipes section, my index page is in a different category(2 actually) and my picture gallery is listed seperately also.

Aspen has a couple hundred pages of one of his sites listed, a feat only possible with "inside" help mind you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you couldn't post the same site in the different categories
    I think there are rules aganist this

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need inside help, I've gotten roughly 250 listings because I've submitted that many unique pages to that many unique categories. I also have nearly 10,000 unique pages of content, so 250 listings isn't so much when taken in context.

Some other sites with large amounts of listings:

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=about.com

About.com, 2870 listings

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/searc...h=bartleby.com

Bartleby.com (a competitor of mine) 719 listings

There are plenty of other examples as well. When you have a site with that much content it is very possible to get that many listings.

Now thats for all different URLs, you can have the same URL listed in two different categories, however this is only acceptable in very rare circumstances and is the exception rather than the norm.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the rate that the DMOZ editors add my unique pages of content to their index it would take over 150 years to have 250 pages listed.

I have about 10 pages that have been waiting a couple months to be added. From what I've read on these forums, others also have trouble getting listed.

I'm sure all your pages are worthy of the listings Aspen, but getting those listings is harder for some than others, all things being equal.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you wait before one page is added before submitting another then yes, it can take awhile.

Me I submit constantly, and back a year or so ago I submitted about 150 links in about 3 days time.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "At the rate that the DMOZ editors add my unique pages of content to their index it would take over 150 years to have 250 pages listed..."

DMOZ is officially well over a million backlogged now - last time I checked it was sitting at 1,054,000+.
    The Business category has somewhere around 300K alone.

Too many editors quitting or getting fired or just burned out I guess. Of course, ODP turning down (or ignoring) something like 90% of all applicants does not help build up much of a workforce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WindSun
    "At the rate that the DMOZ editors add my unique pages of content to their index it would take over 150 years to have 250 pages listed..."

DMOZ is officially well over a million backlogged now - last time I checked it was sitting at 1,054,000+.
    The Business category has somewhere around 300K alone.

Too many editors quitting or getting fired or just burned out I guess. Of course, ODP turning down (or ignoring) something like 90% of all applicants does not help build up much of a workforce.
    Well thats certainly discouraging. I was just about to submit my site to dmoz to begin the horrible "at least 3 month" wait.. now it doesnt even seem like its worth trying..
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of Friday morning the total was 1,060,854 unreviewed, 28,732 errors (that is, dead pages and 404 that are still in the directory).

Of those unreviewed sites, 342,120 were in just 3 categories, Business, Computers, Shopping.

If you happen to have an e-commerce site, well, prepare for a long wait: There are 1900 sites listed, and the backlog is almost 12,000.

If you to have a moving and relocating site, there are 56 listed sites, 560 unreviewed.

Good luck guys
    Last edited by WindSun; Jun 9, 2002 at 03:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waaaaaaaaaaah
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com