SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with wireless access points and antennas!

Hey folks,
    First time posting in this forum here....a quick question:

I'm helping a friend setup his computer so he can use a wireless internet connection. His office is located at an airport, but he's at the far end of the runway....away from the terminal. He has some kind of antenna on his roof and it's connected to an access point like this one. Apparently the antenna is used to send the signal to other hangars at the airport.

The old man doesn't know anything about computers so he can't answer my questions, and I've never dealt with this kind of WIFI setup before. So to make sure I understand what's happening here....is the antenna on his roof picking up a WIFI signal from somewhere else and then sending it to the access point?

Can I just easily buy a wireless network card, install it in his computer and pick up the signal? Or, is it more complicated than this? I'm concerned about the distance from his computer to the access point. Will the signal be weak coming into his office? His office is in a large airplane hangar.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, I drew out a map of how I assume the network is setup. All I have personally seen is the office and wireless access point/antenna. I am not 100% of the originating source of the signal, but let me know what you think.

So, to reiterate, all I need is a Wireless G access card in his office to receive the signal? Is 195ft too long of a distance to get a reliable signal? Thanks.