SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can i open an us bank account without being in US or a citizen?

i would like to know if there are any banks or financial institutions that will allow me to open a bank account in US without being in person or an US citizen. I live in Europe. i need this account to get my Paypal money faster..nothing else. if it's possible i would like to know which banks can do this. thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can... you just need your identity proof of the country you are living in... and there are many banks who allow this... just simple google you will get a few...

hope this helps...
    Unlimited Computer Support - Call TollFree @ 1-855-664-5678 Linksys Router Support

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infogle View Post
    Yes you can... you just need your identity proof of the country you are living in... and there are many banks who allow this... just simple google you will get a few...

hope this helps...
    well actually everything i googled or called turned the answer to NO.
    HSBC will allow you at a certain point to open an account but if it's PayPal cash that's going in you can't have a normal account, you need a business one.
    Citibank no longer accepts this unless you have a SSN and other stuff
    E-trade was the option i've heard but when i called they said NO
    Bank of America said NO as well....

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't be able to open a regular bank account. It is a matter of security. Yet, some banks (you should check your own bank) have currency and/or international or overseas accounts. Currency accounts held in your own branch and your customers will still need to do an international transfers but you will be able to exchange your money to your regular account when the exchange is convenient, or keep it there in US dollars to do your own payments without suffering the fluctuation in the exchange rate.

International and overseas accounts are accounts for foreigners than need to trade in a particular country. Most of the major banks can have them, yet the security they require to open one and all the paperwork is a hussle. They will only opened when someone can really prove that they mean business and that it is an honest, legal business.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    You shouldn't be able to open a regular bank account. It is a matter of security. Yet, some banks (you should check your own bank) have currency and/or international or overseas accounts.
    @molona, you are very right on this.

Yes the banks in US will open some specific accounts, not your regular accounts. And if you do not know how to do it, it is so difficult.

Most of what people are offering are not regular bank accounts.
    Basic US Bank Account Opening Service for Non US Residents.

http://www.ewealthsuccess.com/us-bank.html

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems to me the obvious thing to do would be to talk to your bank. I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction if not set up everything for you. As you are already one of their customers, they may even provide the service for free. Or at least the fee should be a lot less than anything you can find on an online site offering to "help" you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't PayPal send payments overnight to European accounts anyway? Accounts in most major countries are processed quick span, it's usually only when your account is from somewhere that PayPal doesn't operate in directly that there is any delay in the transfer.

Banks in the USA are apparently horrible to deal with. I've heard all sorts of horror stories of people dealing with American banking institutions, although having said that, Europe isn't much better either in my experience.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the same problem, I read up something once about creating a special type of E*Trade account, but it all sounded too risky so I never tried it.

But I've found sending and receiving money through Moneygram has been quick and easy for me. In fact, I and molona did a job together like that once before.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a yankee and I once looked into opening a Canadian bank account. My research revealed that I could not open up an actual Canadian bank account, but I could open up an account in an American branch of a Canadian bank, which would be a start, at least. As others have suggested, talk to your banker.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked