SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if there are any good books on owning and managing a social networking website. I have found it difficult to prepare for the challenges of managing a website.
    Is there anything I can study to learn the ins and outs of owning and operating a social networking website?

I social networking very competitive field.Can i make money through this?
    Last edited by Shyflower; Jul 5, 2009 at 07:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can start learning to manage social network site via Ning.com , you can get your own social network for free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqyum View Post
    I was wondering if there are any good books on owning and managing a social networking website. I have found it difficult to prepare for the challenges of managing a website.
    Is there anything I can study to learn the ins and outs of owning and operating a social networking website?

I social networking very competitive field.Can i make money through this?

You can try to learn about php code first, i guess you can find many books talking about it.
    it is impossible for us to create a social network site like facebook without any php skill.
    yes, you can find free source for social network, but it has limited features.
    the biggest income for SN site is Advertising.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first port of call should be thinking of a niche area. There is an awful lot more to owning a social network. You have to moderate it and market it and so on. Moderation is a very important aspect unless you want it filled with people who offer little more than spam. A big turn off for any genuine quality member.

And those spammers are not going to but a product/service off you because they are only in it for themselves!

You might try joining a niche social network which is free and starting a small group on there to see how you cope with marketing it and so on.Then you would have a small number of followers who are genuinely interested in joining your full blow social network and getting it off to a good start
    Last edited by kar3n2; Jul 12, 2009 at 07:32. Reason: spelling
    Making a difference! One business at a time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a lot of work :P Of course you can make money with a social networking site. You can make money with any kind of site, it just take a lot of work and patience.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're offering a general social networking site then forget about making money.

To have ANY chance of eventually being profitable, you need a niche area to focus on.

And then you need to design a decent site.

It involves a lot of time and patience. This isn't a get rich quick thing. Indeed the vast vast majority will never make one cent of profit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having a lot of friends is the biggest plus

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to read. Just find a good software, hosting, and start from your friends or connections. Your network will grow automatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    social networking is hard to promote since most people looks for the existing members and the overall.so if you have more money to spend then you can start later it will make money.

SitePoint Enthusiast freakme619's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you learn PHP,MYSQL,FLASH and JAVASCRIPT and then you can start building and managing your own social networking site. Basic methods will do. In such time every month or every year I guess, you must improve you site as well.
    I love musics