User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Get HTML into Mail?

I've used Expression Web to put up a web site for a store, but I understand I cannot use EW to design a ewb page and then transfer that to a email inMail. I copied the "Most Basic Web" given in Ian Lloyd's paper and can read it in IE. When I copy it to Mail, it won't show. It simply displays as the html code.

I'm using Vista Home Premium that is up to date and the mail program is set to Rich HTML. I recognize this is a web design forum, but can anyone teill me how to get an html page made in notebook into an email?
    Last edited by akritic; Jul 3, 2009 at 01:28. Reason: Please don't add email addresses to posts, use the Private Message facility. :)

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which mail program are you using ?

In Thunderbird, for example, you'll have to go to
    Insert > HTML... then paste your code into the box that pops up.

Nothing may be wrong with your code at all. You may just need to find the correct way to enter the code into the mail.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML will kill your deliverability rates. I'd suggest you just use plain text.. and then get them to click over to your site.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MailChimp, among other sites, offers good HTML templates specifically designed for a wide variety of mail clients. Outlook, being a Microsoft product, is of course the hardest one to deal with of the larger mainstream clients.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettAren View Post
    HTML will kill your deliverability rates. I'd suggest you just use plain text.. and then get them to click over to your site.
    This is somewhat true, but a lot of people feel that text-only e-mail is outdated. The e-mail list program I use gives users the option to sign up for HTML or text-only e-mails, and when I send out a mailer, I create two newsletters, one HTML and one text. Two birds, one stone.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can view the page in Internet Exlorer, go to File > Send Page By Email > This will open the page in your mail client (say Outlook). You can then send from here.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vc08 View Post
    If you can view the page in Internet Exlorer, go to File > Send Page By Email > This will open the page in your mail client (say Outlook). You can then send from here.
    IE will do it, but I wouldn't trust the result to be anything close to being properly formatted for anything except Outlook, and knowing MS, probably not even that....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    IE will do it, but I wouldn't trust the result to be anything close to being properly formatted for anything except Outlook, and knowing MS, probably not even that....
    I see your point here. This is how I've been doing it, though dont build html emails very often. What do you feel is the best way to test when building HTML email newsletters / Flyers?