SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Client asked me to build static, now at the end of the job wants wordpress! Advice?!

Hi all,
    Basically my absolute (insert rude word here) of a client has suddenly decided, that after almost 2 months of me toiling away on his website which he agreed he wanted static but with simple rolling maintenance to occur has suddenly wanted a cms bolted onto the back! This site has literally been checked a few times, he had crap hosting which he did not want to change so we decided it was easier for both of us if I just build it static! ARGH!

So basically, now I've got to transfer his site here onto a wordpress template!

I'm thinking it's going to be a complete ground up job, and will need to basically say it's his own fault but am just looking to see if there's any possible quicker ways of doing it before I potentially start a debate with my client. I usually go for a thematic theme, so if anyone has any advice along those lines, or with any other really quick easy theme suggestions I'd be most greatful!

Cheers

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty simple design, I can't see it taking much work to get it coded in WP.

Of course, you need to charge him extra for this as he's changed the scope of your project and added extra work for you.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree you should charge more for it but that should not take long to convert to a WP theme.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theme forest has some really nice, inexpensive themes that you could probably modify easily to work with your design http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress - or maybe something like the Thesis theme would work well?
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea dont start form the ground up, work with a premium theme and modify it to suit your needs.

Stoopid client!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies! I'll look into that as an option as I can't be bothered to work from the ground up! I'm wondering how much extra as a percentage to put on, I've said to them it will be an extra 25% surcharge on top which I think is fair enough (They're getting it relatively cheap anyway!), although they aren't happy (Thinking it's basically a job of taking a spanner and bolting it on to the back... gotta love non technical technical wannabes!)

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adover View Post
    (Thinking it's basically a job of taking a spanner and bolting it on to the back... gotta love non technical technical wannabes!)
    Tell them it's more like replacing the foundations underneath a skyscraper.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to convert that quickly to a wordpress theme, it is very CMSish anyway. I would suggest the hybrid theme framework. Very easy to use, and you can create a 100% clean child theme so they will never know that you used a framework.
    David McDougal
    http://digitalpure.com