SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning to create a site for a business I own. There are two things I would like to know:

1) How would I create a members only area for my site in which I could sell access to via subscriptions?

2) What do I have to do to get started selling merchandise?

I know a lot about web-design, but very little about hosting services, and nothing about e-commerce. Anything you can tell me would be very appreciated.

------------------
    - <A HREF="http://"mailto:Elan@WestfieldNJ.com" TARGET=_blank>Elan!</A>
    - ElanCity.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1)
    Well, first, if you're using Apache then you can find a perl script at www.cgi-resources.com which allows you to manage users through .htaccess and .htpasswd files.

If you're on IIS or any other server, then you'll want a Perl (or ASP or PHP) script which would restrict access. Again, look for one at www.cgi-resources.com (for Perl), www.aspin.com (for ASP), and I'm not quite sure where for php. Maybe Karl or Rage would know.

Then set up the script to protect, say, the /members/ directory. It should have a readme included.

Once that's set up, set up a subscription page telling people WHY and HOW to get access to the special member's area. Then, use the following steps below to accept credit cards (and other types of payment).

2)
    You could get some software which'd allow for quick e-commerce site building, you could code your own using something like iisCart (an ASP component), you could use a premade store, like Yahoo!Shops (I think) which'd allow you to sell your own goods, or you could serve everything except the payment page off your own server, and have a link like www.reg.net/productid?4832948 and buyers would follow that link to buy something, and then the info would be sent to you through e-mail and you could process it. (Whew, broke the record for sentence length )

But the truth is that once you get into e-commerce, there's so much to do and to watch out for that one person cannot tell you everything.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com