SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bottomline...you can't do it without frames or aan external window. For frames you can make a frame 0px high at the top of the screen so it wouldn't be noticed. However, instead of a pop-up external window, you could try what is used at www.pauloakley.co.uk and use a pop-UNDER window.

A Last option would be to use a Flash site.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

You want what? By when?? Milamber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with your "bottom line"...

first off, it can be done just like this utilizing a server side scripting language and cookies/sessions. However, this method requires a deal of recoding to the site and requires me to either rename all the pages and update all the links (to something like .asp) or it requires inserting the code and bugging the host to make the server parse html files as ASP files.

Second, I find it very hard to believe that with all the crazy things I have seen javascript do, it can't find out whether a window exists or not.

If any one could figure out the javascript solution, I would be very grateful.
    -Jeff Minard | jrm.cc - Battlefield 2 Stats

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    erm javascript can do that, any just use try catch for that.

I also disagree Sketch as you can read a few posts up where i mentioned a method. I really don't see what the bickering is about, there has been numerous solutions to this and i cannot see why you cannot solve all of the problems.

Yes i agree that frames or popups are a bad idea. Also what happened to flash there are loads of these types of things that are about. Thats the only way i would play music to your target audiennce. Any other method ie using bgsound or etc is not effective. But thats my opninion.

Anyway what the hell has server side scripting got to do with music on websites unless your using remote scripting or the xml dom to pull songs from a database, in which i think m@rco ruled that solution out not sure why tho.

You want what? By when?? Milamber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Andrew-J2000
    erm javascript can do that, any just use try catch for that.
    uhm ... what?
    -Jeff Minard | jrm.cc - Battlefield 2 Stats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use Musicbox script which lets your play music using javascript into an embedded player for more information visit http://www.princeofkings.com