SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting Inappropriate Examples in Portfolio

Hi. I am interested in a position as a web design intern. They are asking for couple examples of your portfolio. I have two finished websites, but the subject matter is uncomfortable in a professional environment (they are about sexy females, no nudity). Is it better to apply with these websites on my resume, apply with no portfolios, or wait a one-two weeks until I have some more acceptable examples? Thanks.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on many factors. One factor is ethics. Another is location. And yet another is your own definition of what is acceptable and what isn't, bearing in mind that it can prevent you from getting the job.
    Some might not take offense to sites such as you mentioned, others might be put off by it.

Personally, I'd not use such sites to apply at any firm, but I'm prudent so I'm projecting my own set of morals onto others. The mere fact that you mention concerns indicates (to me anyway) that you're not convinced that it's a good idea either, so I'd go with your gut instinct here and better be safe than sorry.

So yes, I'd wait until I had a few examples of work that cannot be deemed offensive in any shape or form.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start making up examples to add to the portfolio instead of using the ones you have. Basically, start with a business problem and then create a design to solve it and put that in your portfolio along with an explanation of the problem and how the design solves the problem.

Having "real" projects is better, but in the absence of any that you can use -- and that includes situations where you don't own the copyrights so you can't post it -- you need to come up with something to show your talents and how businesses can use your talents to further their business objectives.

Good luck!
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!